Magnolia tree pruning

Dodge

Hi guys,

just after a bit of advice we have been asked to reduce (height and width) an established Magnolia tree that has been left to its own devices for a number of years. The customer is only wanting it reduced now as there is a danger of limbs failing in the wind, the canopy is fairly vigorous on multi stems of an average 4-5 inch diameter to a height of  20-25 feet She wants it down to about 12 feet, so there is some protection from the wind by a close by hedge

my problems are

1, have never reduced a Magnolia tree and

2, I have heard they are susceptible to die back , this I need to avoid as the tree is of great sentimental value to the customer

My thoughts are a reduction over a number of years rather than straight in, so as not to stress the tree to much in one go. But as I said I have no experience to draw on as I have never reduced one before !! Any advice would be welcome at this stage !!!

Cheers guys

I've a couple at home. Pruning normally results in a mass of new water shoots growing vertically. I think the accepted advice generally is to avoid pruning. 

I don't where you are, I'm in Manchester and hardiness doesn't seem to be much of an issue.

I think any pruning is likely to cause unwanted consequences, so is reduction really necessary - on the stated grounds. Are there indications, or a history, of failure. Could some bracing or other means of support be an option, or is it really that the tree has outgrown its position?

Others may have differing experiences, but any that I've done haven't reacted well and IMO lost their aesthetic appeal - but I'm probably overly fussy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gary Prentice said:

I've a couple at home. Pruning normally results in a mass of new water shoots growing vertically. I think the accepted advice generally is to avoid pruning. 

I don't where you are, I'm in Manchester and hardiness doesn't seem to be much of an issue.

I think any pruning is likely to cause unwanted consequences, so is reduction really necessary - on the stated grounds. Are there indications, or a history, of failure. Could some bracing or other means of support be an option, or is it really that the tree has outgrown its position?

Others may have differing experiences, but any that I've done haven't reacted well and IMO lost their aesthetic appeal - but I'm probably overly fussy.

Not accepted advice as far as I’m concerned.

You can hit it pretty hard, they come back vigorously.

Don’t be too precious with it.

Edited by Mick Dempsey

I agree with the watershoot opinion: when I've been asked to reduce magnolias I thin the crown rather than shorten it where possible.  But cutting back in stages will help if reduction is really needed, especially if you can go back to an established growth point with each cut.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gary Prentice said:

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=599

Coming back vigorously isn't the same as saying it will come back in a natural attractive form Mick. I thought that my post was clear enough, based on my experience. But if the customer is happy with a bog brush on a hat rack, cart on :D:D

It’s regrowth Gary, call it water shoots if you like as a derogatory term.

How is regrowth an unwanted consequence of pruning?

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Dodge said:

Hi guys,

just after a bit of advice we have been asked to reduce (height and width) an established Magnolia tree that has been left to its own devices for a number of years. The customer is only wanting it reduced now as there is a danger of limbs failing in the wind, the canopy is fairly vigorous on multi stems of an average 4-5 inch diameter to a height of  20-25 feet She wants it down to about 12 feet, so there is some protection from the wind by a close by hedge

my problems are

1, have never reduced a Magnolia tree and

2, I have heard they are susceptible to die back , this I need to avoid as the tree is of great sentimental value to the customer

My thoughts are a reduction over a number of years rather than straight in, so as not to stress the tree to much in one go. But as I said I have no experience to draw on as I have never reduced one before !! Any advice would be welcome at this stage !!!

Cheers guys

Generally Magnolias Should Not Be Pruned but if it’s to big and needs reducing treat it like any normal fruit tree even though it’s not,as said pruning encourages water shoot growth,crack on and reduce as required but it needs to be done mid to late summer as it bleeds a lot in winter and needs time to heal and to encourage next years flowers.cut back to main stems,clear out canopy and any dead and or dyeing.

• Thanks 1

Unlikely to do it any harm, they put on growth like a weed after pruning and the "bog brush" description is pretty accurate. In my experience, you hit the big branches trying to retain a bit of shape rather than trying to lightly prune the lighter stuff.

Pics?

Magnolia grandiflora are native and common here.  Light pruning does not result in wild sprouting.  You should be able to make the 25' tree down to 20' ok, leaving a very low risk situation. 

Topping down to 12' would be ruinous.

Pics?

• Thanks 1