New huskies in the heat

Husqvarna King

In the hot days over the last couple of weeks my newer saws have been driving me mad, on the hottest of days the 540 MK1 doesnt want to start, floods then I can start it with full throttle, the 550 which is only a month old (although 2016 on s/n) is the worst, almost unusable. The 560 has also been at it by mid afternoon today. The 455 rancher was fine though, seems just the autotune carbed machines. All saws have clean filters, are blown out each evening. New plugs this winter. I use Stihl green oil and tried to keep the combi can in the cool. All machines were fine untill it got hot, at lunchtime, had same problem Monday week on  the really hot day.Anyone know why this is happening, is it just the fuel evaporating in the carb??

Edited by Husqvarna King
I'm a bellend

My two 550s both did it today. If I didn’t start them back up within a few minutes then of switching them off they would not start.
Working round an emergency water supply lagoon and felt like chucking the pair of them in!

Had to let them cool in the shade before I could get them started again.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SbTVF said:

My two 550s both did it today. If I didn’t start them back up within a few minutes then of switching them off they would not start.
Working round an emergency water supply lagoon and felt like chucking the pair of them in!

Had to let them cool in the shade before I could get them started again.

With you on that one, last thing you want to do on a hot day is pull a starter 20 odd times ?

Not wishing to tell any of you how to use a saw but, 

are you priming them when there hot and putting the choke control onto quarter throttle setting. There is now a silver sticker on the cylinder cover. They start every time like this unless you have a fault. The new fuel routing for the 550 which was the worse offender along with the new carb has solved all the hot start problems. 2016 model might not have the latest carb fitted but if you follow the sticker on the cylinder cover you should have no problems. 

• Like 4

I haven't had my 550 cut out, but Jesus H Christ! Has it been running hot in the heat so much so I almost burnt my hand on the top cover! Good but bad to hear it's not just my saw playing up! I won't be taking it anywhere hot abroad I'll tell you that much!

• Like 2

Not wishing to tell any of you how to use a saw but, 

are you priming them when there hot and putting the choke control onto quarter throttle setting. There is now a silver sticker on the cylinder cover. They start every time like this unless you have a fault. The new fuel routing for the 550 which was the worse offender along with the new carb has solved all the hot start problems. 2016 model might not have the latest carb fitted but if you follow the sticker on the cylinder cover you should have no problems. 

Both of ours are 2013 and 9/10 times if you put them on the fast idle setting they start first pull. Under ‘normal’ conditions anyway!