husky365 or stihl 391 or 441 ?

Silverhooker

Hi all,

I do quite a bit of firewood for myself and old folks next door, about 30 cube/year, most of it is wind blown larch with some sycamore. The larch is usually 20 -24 inch trunks the syc about a foot. I'm needing a new saw to ring up as old stihl 391, which the elderly neighbour gave me after her husband died, is knackered and the local repair shop said was passed fixing.

Husky 365 and stihl 391 look very similar, although the 441 would be a bit of a step up in price. I'm really looking for the advice of the seasoned veterans as I just don't know what to get.

Guy in local shop said he preferred Stihl, although he is a dealer for both ! My mate, who is a local farmer said that there wasn't any great difference, so I'm totally confused now.

Help !!

Personal preference,
Whichever dealer is closer.
My preference would be a stihl 461 with 25" bar.
However they are nearly obsolete as stihl are launching the 462mtronic and the 500i injection over the next few months.
Just my advice, but hold off, have a look on tinternet Deutschland for a 500i or ask your dealer.
[emoji106]

Out of your list I think 391 is a clamshell / plastic cases home owner type saw ?  I would go for the 365 as it can easily transformed into a 372 by simply grinding off the fins on the inside of the transfer covers ......Hey presto 372 for 365 money .

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 1

Not that technically minded as the above advisors but would strongly recommend a 365. Quite a grunty saw. Had one as a work saw when I worked on an estate which I used over three winters. I liked it so much I more recently bought one myself for firewood. Used more recently for crosscutting as at my age it's a fair weight to use all day for felling. So used a couple of 365s for about 12 years as main saws. Nowadays I just use a MS 260 for limbing and felling as it's about 2/3rds the weight of the Husky

1 hour ago, Stubby said:

Out of your list I think 391 is a clamshell / plastic cases home owner type saw ?  I would go for the 365 as it can easily transformed into a 372 by simply grinding off the fins on the inside of the transfer covers ......Hey presto 372 for 365 money .

I understand there are a few versions of the 365. X torque/Special/XP.  Mines a special with the Walbro carburettor. If it's viable I would really appreciate a laymans explanation for that adaption, the improvement, and whether it will wear out more quickly:thumbup1:

Edited by Baldbloke

15 minutes ago, Baldbloke said:

Not that technically minded as the above advisors but would strongly recommend a 365. Quite a grunty saw. Had one as a work saw when I worked on an estate which I used over three winters. I liked it so much I more recently bought one myself for firewood. Used more recently for crosscutting as at my age it's a fair weight to use all day for felling. So used a couple of 365s for about 12 years as main saws. Nowadays I just use a MS 260 for limbing and felling as it's about 2/3rds the weight of the Husky

.I would really appreciate a laymans explanation for that adaption, the improvement, and whether it will wear out more quickly:thumbup1:

It wont ware out more quickly as all you are doing is " restoring " the saw to the original design intent . Strangely Husqvarna made the 372 X torque then " restricted " a version of it by casting transfer covers with a fin on the inside and called it the " lesser spec " 365 x Torque .

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stubby said:

It wont ware out more quickly as all you are doing is " restoring " the saw to the original design intent . Strangely Husqvarna made the 372 X torque then " restricted " a version of it by casting transfer covers with a fin on the inside and called it the " lesser spec " 365 x Torque .

I was busy editing my post when you replied. Mine is a 365 Special (on the recoil cover) and I was wondering if that is a similar mod or not? I also understand some 365s had a 48mm bore while others had a 50mm, some had Walbro carbs and some had Zama carbs depending on whether they were XP, Special or X Torque.

Edited by Baldbloke

1 hour ago, Baldbloke said:

I was busy editing my post when you replied. Mine is a 365 Special (on the recoil cover) and I was wondering if that is a similar mod or not? I also understand some 365s had a 48mm bore while others had a 50mm, some had Walbro carbs and some had Zama carbs depending on whether they were XP, Special or X Torque.

The above mod is only for the Xtorque models .  The 365 special was a bomproof saw . Understressed .

• Like 1