AWD panel van?

kav

After much head scratching I have decided an awd panel van would be useful addition. I need to move much Lucas mill/pedestrian flail about and hate seeing it bounce about on a trailer on our quality roads! 4x4 sprinter would be great but none are about second hand. Lwb transporter would be lovely but again hard to find as a 'work van' not a kombi or camper. Does anyone have any experience of awd transit-looks like could be an option?

49 minutes ago, Steve Bullman said:

I assume you're looking for something smaller than a 3.5t?

open to suggestions really but guess above 3.5t i'm looking at operators licence.

5 hours ago, kav said:

After much head scratching I have decided an awd panel van would be useful addition. I need to move much Lucas mill/pedestrian flail about and hate seeing it bounce about on a trailer on our quality roads! 4x4 sprinter would be great but none are about second hand. Lwb transporter would be lovely but again hard to find as a 'work van' not a kombi or camper. Does anyone have any experience of awd transit-looks like could be an option?

I switched from a work Defender to an AWD Transit due to the change in my work, and in all honesty I wish I’d had one years ago!

It’s been brilliant for me, only had it stuck once and so were the two double cab pickups following, would leave my current  Defender for dead on Snow/Ice covered roads until it gets really deep.

I put four winter rated all season tyres on it, soon after purchase and well worth the money.

I get a consistent 30mpg, and the only issues have been the DPF not doing the odd regen and needing a plug in to force one.

Hope to be in a position to get a new shape version as they’re starting to come through now off the fleets.

Tows better than a Defender 90 on the road, stable, plenty of torque and a nice spread of gears.

I was mad after the lovely looking Sprinter version, but nothing about at the spec I wanted, I’ll be staying with the Transits now.

Eddie.

44 minutes ago, felixthelogchopper said:

Would what you want to move fit in the back of a long wheelbase 4x4 like a Trooper or a Discovery with the back seats removed? Apologies if I'm way out re dimensions. :)

The main thing is the carriage for the mill. its about 8' long. anything else can go on the roof/trailer. I think with a m/lwb I could get the lot on without towing. Rails are 6m. Could also get a pedestrian mower or rideon brushcutter in the back?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, LGP Eddie said:

I switched from a work Defender to an AWD Transit due to the change in my work, and in all honesty I wish I’d had one years ago!

It’s been brilliant for me, only had it stuck once and so were the two double cab pickups following, would leave my current  Defender for dead on Snow/Ice covered roads until it gets really deep.

I put four winter rated all season tyres on it, soon after purchase and well worth the money.

I get a consistent 30mpg, and the only issues have been the DPF not doing the odd regen and needing a plug in to force one.

Hope to be in a position to get a new shape version as they’re starting to come through now off the fleets.

Tows better than a Defender 90 on the road, stable, plenty of torque and a nice spread of gears.

I was mad after the lovely looking Sprinter version, but nothing about at the spec I wanted, I’ll be staying with the Transits now.

Eddie.

Thanks Eddie, sounds good, I don't think I'll own another landrover!!