Tree climber breaks arm whilst rigging

Steve Bullman

6 hours ago, Steve Bullman said:

Both the Ulna and Radius by the looks of it, double ouch

32256611_2083411645205072_6887667803659173888_n.jpg

I am astounded!  We certainly never heard a double ouch, or even a single one for that matter.

Feel very sorry for him as it must have been a freak case of the perfect swinging log hitting an arm at its most vulnerable position.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Think he is the Black Knight from Monty Python .

Or a bit like that scene from "Waterloo" 

There is a story, possibly apocryphal, concerning Henry Paget, 2nd Earl of Uxbridge. One of the last cannonballs fired that day hit Uxbridge just above the knee, all but severing the leg. Lord Uxbridge was close to Wellington at the time, exclaiming “By God, sir, I’ve lost my leg!”. Wellington replied “By God, sir, so you have!” There’s another version in which Wellington says “By God, sir, you’ve lost your leg!”. Looking down, Uxbridge replied “By God, sir, so I have!”

• Like 1

On 11/05/2018 at 19:56, SimpleSimon said:

So, as a total novice to such things I have to ask: What went wrong? Did he do or fail to do something that caused that to happen or was it just misfortune?

Simple:

1. A good groundy would have let it run rather than hold it while it swings back and hits climber.

2. But a good climber would make sure he's above the point it's going to swing into, either by climbing higher when pushing the chog free - or if it was me, tie the chog and the bottom and not the top. It should then flip downwards and away from the climber.

Simple:

1. A good groundy would have let it run rather than hold it while it swings back and hits climber.
2. But a good climber would make sure he's above the point it's going to swing into, either by climbing higher when pushing the chog free - or if it was me, tie the chog and the bottom and not the top. It should then flip downwards and away from the climber.
Agreed on the good groundy bit. My job many years ago, but it still holds true now, was to "read" the weight of a section , know how much friction would be needed to slow it down, and to let it run til it cleared the climber, no matter what state the gloves were left in afterwards.- climber and team safety were number one responsibility. If it looked wrong shout up bfore the cuts were made, but if it still came down bad get it past the climber before braking.
All this in the days before pulleys and bollards, just simple crotch anchors and wraps around the tree. As often the case now, too much attention to devices and technology without understanding dynamics and gravity
  • Like 2