Hit and run .

Stubby

6 hours ago, Haironyourchest said:

How many man-hours are lost every year to cyclists? .....

It might feel like 15 mins but you would have to be stuck behind them for about 6.3 miles for that to happen.. 

Cycling has huge benefits to health and wellbeing, and I am sure saves far more man hours then it costs.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/active/recreational-cycling/10097449/Cycling-halves-the-number-of-sick-days-taken-by-staff.html

• Like 1

On 17/06/2018 at 19:42, Ty Korrigan said:

On June 11th I appeared at the Tribunal de Police in Rennes concerning an incident whilst I was out training on my velo over a year ago on bank holiday here May 26th 2017.

A car driver objected to my presence on the road as there was a 'cycle path' available. A shared footpath unsuitable for 30kph riding with cars, bins and old ladies with dogs on extending leads.

In France there are few legal obligations for cyclists to use cycle tracks and none which apply to ones of this catagory.

I ignored the drivers verbal abuse but he swung his car into me forcing me to hop onto the pavement and dismount badly, pulling leg and back muscles as I unclipped and tried to prevent a fall.

Driver gets out, a bawling match ensues, driver grabs my shirt and raises his hand, I was truly terrified at this point and reacted, punching him in the mouth, driver lets go, runs behind me and starts attacking my bike, earns another punch.

This idiot works as quarry lorry driver. And although he was wrong to engage me, wrong on his interpretation of the 'code de la route' Wrong to use his car to force me to stop. Wrong to abandon his 2 kids in the car to confront me. Wrong to attack my bike. The driver denies everything else, claims he just wanted to have a chat to me about why I was blocking the road (in his statement driver rants cyclist was at least 50cm from kerb) Driver went off sick for 127 days over 60 of which in a psychiatric ward being treated for depression as a result of me giving him a split lip (4 stitches).

I pleaded self defence, as I couldn't run away, not wearing carbon racing shoes with cleats. 

Driver also has a previous history of mental illness. Already classed as a disabled worker due to his anxiety and depression. A side effect of his meds can be spontanious violence, aggression and anger.

Yet...

It is I who will be charged with a classe 5 assault, fined as well as pursued in a civil case for medical expenses, lost salary, corporal damages, compo for his 2 kids who where passengers in the car in a case possibly lasting years.

If this is the case then I'm leaving France and moving to Morocco.

I can't even hang myself as they will sue my corpse and take from my estate and kids future inheritance.

I've gone over the day of the incident time and time again and draw the same conclusion every time.

I should not have stood up to the driver but have given him free reign to beat me up.

I might have just recieved a few bruises, broken ribs or I might now be fed via a tube with 24hr care.

But at least I wouldn't be waking up to the merdre I find myself in.

Dammed if I didn't but dammed because I did.

My life is in an unholy legal mess.

I've legal dossiers filling waking hours.

Liquidating my business and facing a criminal and civil action at the same time.

Stuart

MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1528310807683.jpg_1528310809394.jpeg

After the fact i know but if you had had a helmet cam or camera on the bike it would have had a different outcome

17 hours ago, benedmonds said:

It might feel like 15 mins but you would have to be stuck behind them for about 6.3 miles for that to happen.. 

Cycling has huge benefits to health and wellbeing, and I am sure saves far more man hours then it costs.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/active/recreational-cycling/10097449/Cycling-halves-the-number-of-sick-days-taken-by-staff.html

Yes, exactly, miles and miles of winding road, blind bends aplenty. And it's not just me that loses time and deisel, it's every other motorist coming up behind. Why can't they show some consideration for others and pull over from time to time? 

• Like 4