Do I need permission to close a by road?

Valeman

16 minutes ago, Valeman said:

What incentive do people have to do things right when this is the case.  The whole job is only £450 for a bit over half a day.  I will just cone the road off to stop vehicles and let them through as they come.

You can get away with this on quiet roads with good visibility, but if the wrong person happens to pass by they might have something to say about it.  I appreciate what you're saying though and we've all been there and had to take shortcuts.  Its just not feasible to add those costs onto most jobs

There has to be a cost - the council arn't going to let you close the road to make money without taking a cut.

Perhaps call the local police and say your plan is to do the work without closing the road and take their advice whether you need to close the road or not.

Bare in mind that "closing the road" and "stopping the traffic" are two very different things!

You can get a 'stop works' sign, if you fancy looking like a lollipop lady!

On a slightly related note, a road surveying vehicle went past last week doing a slow walking speed. It was flanked 50yds on either side by guys with stop-go boards. I was talking to one of them and he said they work all over the uk, and he has to cover about 10 miles a day on foot in front of the wagon!

• Like 1

Bare in mind that "closing the road" and "stopping the traffic" are two very different things!

You can get a 'stop works' sign, if you fancy looking like a lollipop lady!

On a slightly related note, a road surveying vehicle went past last week doing a slow walking speed. It was flanked 50yds on either side by guys with stop-go boards. I was talking to one of them and he said they work all over the uk, and he has to cover about 10 miles a day on foot in front of the wagon!
Stop works is for short duration works and I think its less than 15min without checking I'm the chapter 8 red book and then your not ment to restricted traffic flow for an hour before being able to stop them again.
Thing is that if done properly the emergency services are informed about the closure and are pre warned to take an alternative route, imagine doing it on the sly and an ambulance turns up at the end on a way to an accident so then has to back track to find a way round so is then too late to save the person it was sent too......