Do I need permission to close a by road?

Valeman

Hi.  I have a small amount of tree work to do which would make life a lot easier if I was to close off the road.  Its a very quiet and largely unused country road with alternative routes available which probably add half a mile on to your journey.  Do I need to be any qualifications in traffic management to do this?  I understand you have to inform the emergency services, is that just a case of calling the police or do I need to call each emergency service?

Thanks

16 minutes ago, Valeman said:

Hi.  I have a small amount of tree work to do which would make life a lot easier if I was to close off the road.  Its a very quiet and largely unused country road with alternative routes available which probably add half a mile on to your journey.  Do I need to be any qualifications in traffic management to do this?  I understand you have to inform the emergency services, is that just a case of calling the police or do I need to call each emergency service?

Thanks

Yes you do and it will cost.  Don't even think about doing it without the required permissions off  CC.

My LA wants around £800 + Vat just for a temp parking restriction plus extra cash if you want cones out to prevent anyone parking. So a Rd closure :scared1:

They charged their own Arb team over two thousand for one recently I’m told.

You seem to be financially discouraged for playing by the rules and doing things properly 

• Like 3

Yeah. What’s new? If you are gonna charge for taking business waste don’t be surprised when it is dumped. Off topic but a small pot hole was very quickly filled next to a local councillors garage. Can’t stand the bureaucracy. America has that right at least

Yes you will have to contact your local Highway agency office and get the required forms to get permission granted, £360 around here.
You'd be required to put up mandatory pre warning boards a week before then the day before submit another form before closing off the road and placing a fully signed diversion from both directions then inform them once again when the road is re opened, my quote from a local tm company to do this was £2100.
I find it crazy that the it's so expensive to do things properly

I wanted to do it for a crane job.  They(council) quoted me about £1600.  They had to advertise the closure and inform all relevant people of closure.  It was on a really quiet lane and the crane co wouldn't do it without a closure as the crane outriggers would completely block it.  Ended up with a rope dismantle and stop go.  Can't remember the fines that were quoted for unauthourised closure but they were pretty steep.  All it takes is for CC official to be passing or a complaint and they've got you over a barrel.  

1 hour ago, woody paul said:

Many times near me you drive down a road 1 day and find it closed the next with no pre warning.

Emergency closures require no pre warning 

Ive been working on a large tree blocking a road with road closed sighns set out by the council highways blokes and had someone turn up from rhe council and start having a go at us about lack of diversions and permit boards 

Had to explain to him that it was his own blokes following his own procedures

• Like 3
  • Haha 2