Landy reloved

aspenarb

Got the old rear crossmember off, twas very crispy :scared1:

7DE1C791-0E3B-48D2-9E73-4B37418A8519_zps

The upside is the rest is completely rot free, trimmed the chassis back with a thin disc and wrapped the loom in some ceramic cloth.

A8D065CB-9F6B-4BA9-81F4-73CBFB5D1F83_zps

The new crossmember needed more than a tweek to get lined up, got there in the end but took a while.

AC4A966D-B765-4785-B465-2768FE39CD3C_zps

F748C9DF-8782-4ACA-BA17-E38CA10D81D2_zps

2F801784-6F76-4B25-866A-B6E6AAAA0416_zps

Not bad for a downhand mig weld :)

65B7DA6D-3F66-4DD6-A194-A4A53A0C4F66_zps

While the wheels are off we are doing the rear bushes and brakes, for some strange reason the pads had dropped down and were eating through the brake discs.

B765F551-5188-4C11-89D7-2511B5C6E0E6_zps

• Like 1

Done a few rear cross members on these and usually just lifted the rear body enough to chop and weld in. That way the body/chassis alignment was correct. Also so that the new section wasn’t too short or long and the rearmost fixings fitted[emoji3]

Done a few rear cross members on these and usually just lifted the rear body enough to chop and weld in. That way the body/chassis alignment was correct. Also so that the new section wasn’t too short or long and the rearmost fixings fitted[emoji3]

Tidy welding by the way[emoji1303]
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Baldbloke said:

Done a few rear cross members on these and usually just lifted the rear body enough to chop and weld in. That way the body/chassis alignment was correct. Also so that the new section wasn’t too short or long and the rearmost fixings fittedemoji3.png

My old fitted is back on the scene and he is a landy nerd, I doubt if I would have bothered with this but he is all over it like a rash and is keen to get it done. Mick Dundee threw a sicky so the fitter and I made up a jig to position /pick up on all the bolt holes of the original , prepped it all up and it only took me about twenty minutes to weld it, there was a fair bit of work to get the thing set up though and glad there was no bodywork in the way.

Nerdy fitter pointed out that someone has fitted the shocks with the washer the wrong way around, apparently the chamfer should go on the inside to allow the bush to move or it can snap off the shock mount. :)

2CAF93B0-AF29-4E55-9ACE-183EE835624D_zps

• 1 month later...

Fitter managed to get a day in on the landrover, found some plated suspension bits in the container I had forgotten about so used them.

Fitted the new discs/pads ,reverted to the style with the holes through the pad so there is no chance of them dropping down onto the disc. Just need to repipe the brakes now.

56D81247-C517-4966-BCC9-A2019B34F989_zps

Changed that gurt joint over the axle.

F2B1B48F-A15E-4AD7-893B-FD541EA3A8DC_zps

Poly bush kit,

4EAA64E6-C4FA-4D21-9B82-FDD8A74BA9DE_zps

6AC990A9-5F1A-4676-A493-7937F33EA7B2_zps

Tow hitch and exhaust back on.

CF34B9A4-ECA8-45C2-A1D2-2065035DEE70_zps

And a new wiper switch.

4F34D267-51C1-4A65-9B97-1449CB9A3A7F_zps

About £285 in bits so far, next up is chassis waxing, brake pipes and refit the body tub.

Bob

Nice one Bob, I hope your rear crossmember lasts better than mine which was replaced exactly 6 years ago and is needing doing again as completely corroded- cheap rubbish springs to mind as it was Britpart, I see you can now buy galvanised rear crossmember- I think il do this next, galv will obviously get ruined where it’s welded on but otherwise should last a lot longer.