Recommend me a small bandsaw mill

Big J

Best of luck with the new venture,I have read your posts and have found them very interesting and helpful in setting up our own mill across the pond .

We have the sawing bug and you helped inspire us .

Anyway just my opinion,to be fair I don’t think you would go far wrong with a Timberking 1220 or 1400 .

Very durable and one you know your way around equipment ,they are basically bomb proof .

all the best

D

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Foliage said:

Best of luck with the new venture,I have read your posts and have found them very interesting and helpful in setting up our own mill across the pond .

We have the sawing bug and you helped inspire us .

Anyway just my opinion,to be fair I don’t think you would go far wrong with a Timberking 1220 or 1400 .

Very durable and one you know your way around equipment ,they are basically bomb proof .

all the best

D

I'd completely forgotten about Timberking! Saw a few of their mills years ago up at Frank Gamwell's yard near Perth. I think it was a 2200 he had ready to go out, and then a few of the smaller mills too. I imagine the bad exchange rate won't help the pricing though

• 1 year later...

I am in a similar position to Big J. loads of timber required for our own work here. 

I've been looking at the HM130MAX Woodlander with the 5.1m cut length and 30" width, 14hp electric start Kholer petrol engine. Despite its limitations it's appears very good value for money?

We get a lot of oversize timber also in our Firewood roundwood loads that come in up to 28" dia., too large to process.

Oak Beech, Sweet Chestnut, etc. plus  Douglas and Larch. We have been just setting it aside on bearers, to keep it off the ground.

I have no use for all we get, so I wonder if there is a limited market over time if we were to slab it all up 2 1/2" for the Hardwood and 1" / 1 1/4" for the softwood for cladding etc., sticker it up, seal ends and cover to air dry. We get good air movement here, but not excessive.

I'm not really interested in buying an edger, or turning logs, just live edge boards.

We have a rough terrain forklift, plenty of space and profile sheets to cover.

Everyone talks about it being hard to market slabbed timber, which is why I am hesitant.

Any advice welcome.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, arboriculturist said:

I am in a similar position to Big J. loads of timber required for our own work here. 

I've been looking at the HM130MAX Woodlander with the 5.1m cut length and 30" width, 14hp electric start Kholer petrol engine. Despite its limitations it's appears very good value for money?

We get a lot of oversize timber also in our Firewood roundwood loads that come in up to 28" dia., too large to process.

Oak Beech, Sweet Chestnut, etc. plus  Douglas and Larch. We have been just setting it aside on bearers, to keep it off the ground.

I have no use for all we get, so I wonder if there is a limited market over time if we were to slab it all up 2 1/2" for the Hardwood and 1" / 1 1/4" for the softwood for cladding etc., sticker it up, seal ends and cover to air dry. We get good air movement here, but not excessive.

I'm not really interested in buying an edger, or turning logs, just live edge boards.

Everyone talks about it being hard to market slabbed timber, which is why I am hesitant.

Any advice welcome.

Just sold our HM130 to a great pair of lads off the forum,Well worth getting your own setup and only reason is i am upgrading to a much larger mill, Chris is a good mate of mine who is one of the main uk woodlands dealers in the uk, Glad to help if i can ?

Edited by topchippyles
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, topchippyles said:

Just sold our HM130 to a great pair of lads off the forum,Well worth getting your own setup and only reason is i am upgrading to a much larger mill, Chris is a good mate of mine who is one of the main uk woodlands dealers in the uk, Glad to help if i can ?

Good old Arbtalk ! What mill have you gone for and why the need to upscale if you don't mind me asking? ?

• Like 2

Any advice welcome.

Consider the Logosol b751 bandsaw.
Cuts 30" max logs with 24" throat.
High spec build and all for £6k.
I'm looking at that over the woodlands 130.
[emoji106]

Consider the Logosol b751 bandsaw.

Cuts 30" max logs with 24" throat.

High spec build and all for £6k.

I'm looking at that over the woodlands 130.

[emoji106]

Its what I have. Loaded this 28" Oak on it today. [emoji4] Bought a Timber Frame Construction Book so will be building the project in the book with the Oak and the new (to me) Makita Chain Mortiser @Johnsondsecured for me. [emoji4] 

IMG_6674.jpgIMG_6666.jpga94592a7-2b5c-40bf-8eb8-8a71cb01fdb9.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, arboriculturist said:

Good old Arbtalk ! What mill have you gone for and why the need to upscale if you don't mind me asking? ?

Good mate of mine own 3 massive wood suppliers so something we have spoken about for a couple of years now, Setting up a much larger saw 

Fencing and Decking - Home