Recommend me a small bandsaw mill

Big J

what about a LT15 wide.its a two post mill can cut up to 36''and you can get one with an 12 volt  drive too.its pretty cheap to buy  as well.On mine i ended up putting a channel base underneath so it was more robust and  is easier to load on and off our crane truck

No idea if these are available in Europe though

woodmizer 002.jpg

Not sure if the new Logosol is a rebrand or their own machine but it looks decent from the brief look I had at it? Their office is near me and they have been super helpful in the past. I have a Lucas which is awesome but i would love a bandsaw too!

• Like 1

Thanks for all of the suggestions chaps. 

Sort of on principle, I won't buy a Woodmizer. They had a monopoly on bandsaw mills in the UK when I first started and overcharged for everything. They don't have that monopoly any more, and as such their prices have had to come down. Their mills aren't bad, though I don't like their single post design and there are some design features with the hydraulic mills are daft. Like not being able to use the hydraulics unless the headrig is at the drawbar end of the mill. It means you are always having to look under the headrig to see your log being manoeuvred. Also, walking up and down with the headrig for every cut on a higher production mill would drive me absolutely effing nuts. I've milled almost 300 tonnes of roundwood in the past 8 weeks and a lot of it has been smaller diameter softwood. Walking up and down for each cut would have driven me to madness, and it means you are always walking alongside the production of sawdust (not good for lungs or eyes) and wading through it with your feet (some days we are producing 4 cube of sawdust). 

Kav - I do like the look of the Logosol mill, and I spoke to Willie Dobie (Logosol retailer) the other day about it. His daughter is apparently handling the sawmill sales down in Oxford, so I do need to speak to her about it. 

3 hours ago, Big J said:

Thanks for all of the suggestions chaps. 

Sort of on principle, I won't buy a Woodmizer. They had a monopoly on bandsaw mills in the UK when I first started and overcharged for everything. They don't have that monopoly any more, and as such their prices have had to come down. Their mills aren't bad, though I don't like their single post design and there are some design features with the hydraulic mills are daft. Like not being able to use the hydraulics unless the headrig is at the drawbar end of the mill. It means you are always having to look under the headrig to see your log being manoeuvred. Also, walking up and down with the headrig for every cut on a higher production mill would drive me absolutely effing nuts. I've milled almost 300 tonnes of roundwood in the past 8 weeks and a lot of it has been smaller diameter softwood. Walking up and down for each cut would have driven me to madness, and it means you are always walking alongside the production of sawdust (not good for lungs or eyes) and wading through it with your feet (some days we are producing 4 cube of sawdust). 

Kav - I do like the look of the Logosol mill, and I spoke to Willie Dobie (Logosol retailer) the other day about it. His daughter is apparently handling the sawmill sales down in Oxford, so I do need to speak to her about it. 

My yard is about 10 miles from Logosol in Oxford so if you are down/up and fancy a cuppa just shout

• Like 1

J, logosol rebrand the norwood range as there own, pretty good mills, but if your just looking for a smallish!!! one for your own use, the woodland 130 is a hard package to beat, basic, simple, and with there own trailer package now available, very portable,and all the consumables are std off the shelf (not maker specific) components

7 hours ago, agrimog said:

J, logosol rebrand the norwood range as there own, pretty good mills, but if your just looking for a smallish!!! one for your own use, the woodland 130 is a hard package to beat, basic, simple, and with there own trailer package now available, very portable,and all the consumables are std off the shelf (not maker specific) components

That does sound useful. I like off the shelf parts. 

The new Logosol mill is apparently not Norwood. I'm told that Norwood have fallen out with all their distributors over here. 

That does sound useful. I like off the shelf parts. 

The new Logosol mill is apparently not Norwood. I'm told that Norwood have fallen out with all their distributors over here. 

Global Recycling are now the only distributor for the Norwood products for the UK & Ireland, previous dealers were not stocking but we are ordering One/Two containers at a time.

• 4 weeks later...

The woodlands HM130 maybe a bit basic to what you're used to but it does the job and is easy to repair.

If you read the comments on FB from customers across the pond there have been a few issues with the later

models or that could just be operator error!

Either way it's worth putting in the contenders list.

• Like 1