Which chainsaw size for cutting a large spruce into firewood

Malco

Hi,
I have a chainsaw dilemma. I recently had a 90 year old spruce felled. Most of the branches have been cut into lengths no longer than 12 inches diameter. However the trunk, which is 20-30 feet long varies in diameter from 2ft 6" to 5ft 6" . As I am a beginner ( although verbally coached by the tree-feller at the time), I will not be able to buy a chainsaw capable of ringing the trunk, so I anticipate slowly cutting chips/slices off it which I can chop/saw to fit in my wood-burner. However, I suspect I will need a hefty saw (? around 50cc) to complete that task, despite requiring a much lesser powered saw to cut up the branches. I am unlikely to use the chainsaw after this large task. In the interests of safety, I will go with a Husqvarna but I would welcome advice on which is the cheapest of their range which will be able to carry out the full task.
I am thinking, perhaps the 440, 445, or 450?
My dilemma clearly is that I do not want to overspend on something which has a time limited value to me, but neither do I wish to waste money buying something that is not up to the task. I should add that tree is on a very small island so normal logistics do not apply!
Advice please!

• Like 1

5ft diameter spruce will be awful to process to firewood with a small saw. The heartwood will be bone dry and won't rip (ie cutting with the grain) cut well at all. Best to hire in an arborist with a 120cc saw to ring it up and split it for you. You'll save money and your back.