Older vans/trucks

eggsarascal

11 minutes ago, billpierce said:

Its an amazing stone floor, some of the slabs are 4ft square. Ideally id lift it stick a dpm in, insulate and underfloor hearing pipes in, and re lay it, but this will be pretty expensive/mega time consuming, so toying with idea of insulating and laying a wooden floor on top with v shallow timbers laid on the stone, this wouldnt destroy the lovely stone if we ever wanted to change in future, also a pita. If it was just me there id probably just put up with a damp cold floor like. But hey ho.

Only about 1.5 miles to the big lights of allendale, which has a coop and pubs. 20 mins to hexham, which has a few builders merchants and that, so its not too far out, but also not really on the way to anywhere else. Only about a couple miles from where we stay at the minute, but bigger and with a few fields and bit of wood.

Fair play on the stone floor, it will always be there for later, cut ya cloth accordingly. And not too far out at all, bit like where I'm at.

I went to Hexam once to the races, t'was a bad day, done me dough and it pissed with rain. It's a long way back to Suffolk when you are crying in ya beer on the coach back home.

• Like 3

Looks proper nice bill better condition than I thought, I would hate to cover those slabs ... Seriously made me rethink about what I need to do with my downstairs floor.
I will hate covering them up too matty, but perhaps hate it less than lifting them and digging down 15", then doing a slab witha mixer ( no truck access for concrete truck) etc etc. If it were up to me it would be left alone until id put up with it for a few years and then decide whether its too cold/damp.

Whats the plan with your floor?

After seeing yours I want old slabs!! May have a look around but I think for cost it’s going to be dpm and concrete then might mill some more Douglas or ash would be nicer , have dug most of it out now the worse was finding the old reinforced concrete generator plinth I thought I had mostly got out with a jack hammer went down another two ft, winched it out and must of been over a ton as the avant back wheels where off the ground when we finally got in out the door.
Should of been on it today but keep finding other things to do!
On days off After feeding animals and trying to catch moles and trying to get the veg garden in order the days over, usually it gets real quiet in February so should crack on then. IMG_1491.jpg

• Like 2

After seeing yours I want old slabs!! May have a look around but I think for cost it’s going to be dpm and concrete then might mill some more Douglas or ash would be nicer , have dug most of it out now the worse was finding the old reinforced concrete generator plinth I thought I had mostly got out with a jack hammer went down another two ft, winched it out and must of been over a ton as the avant back wheels where off the ground when we finally got in out the door.
Should of been on it today but keep finding other things to do!
On days off After feeding animals and trying to catch moles and trying to get the veg garden in order the days over, usually it gets real quiet in February so should crack on then. IMG_1491.thumb.jpg.89a4e513d533905811c945882e4317e3.jpg
Not surprised on a sunny day like today you found outside jobs rather than digging inside! Was up to my elbows in silted cundys around the house today. Sadly alot of it has been "repaired" by previous owner which seems to consist of smashing it all to bits every few meters and watching the hole fill with water and leaves.

Still keen to get over and see your solar setup and pick yer brains a bit. Got that to sort out next
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, billpierce said:

Not surprised on a sunny day like today you found outside jobs rather than digging inside! Was up to my elbows in silted cundys around the house today. Sadly alot of it has been "repaired" by previous owner which seems to consist of smashing it all to bits every few meters and watching the hole fill with water and leaves.

Still keen to get over and see your solar setup and pick yer brains a bit. Got that to sort out next

Bill if you’re off grid I’ve got an inverter charger you can have. Did us for years off wind/batteries/genny till we got grid connection, can’t remember size or spec but I’ll dig out if any good to you. It’s a bit smoke stained off being in power shed with genny but should work fine. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, LeeGray said:

Bill if you’re off grid I’ve got an inverter charger you can have. Did us for years off wind/batteries/genny till we got grid connection, can’t remember size or spec but I’ll dig out if any good to you. It’s a bit smoke stained off being in power shed with genny but should work fine. 

That would be amazing! Very very kind of you. Where abouts are you again? Cheers

Longframlington. I’ll have a look for it, know I stashed it somewhere as was going to put on eBay or use it at some point but I’ll never get round to it in reality. Wasn’t a top spec bit of kit probs about £1500 new Like 10 years ago but they’ll have come down in price masses since then. 

If memory serves it’s something like 30a charge/5 or 6 kw.

Loved being off grid when it was necessary but also love having a grid connection now, makes life so much easier if not as much fun! Kids used to actually play and read and we only had masses of tv, computers etc on when it was windy! Now they just play Xbox all the time and I’ve got no excuse to turn it off.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Been a while but finally managed to get a bit more done. Have running water off a pump, a dickhead sound system, stove ( nice little jotul 600), triple bunks ( middle one folds away to make seat), fridge ( with cold beer), extra seats and installed 3 seat belted extra seats. Long way to go ( sorry its so messy but you get the idea) but its coming on