Anyone got a ‘big’ compact loader? Are they any good?

LeeGray

I’m looking into compact loaders. The multi ones 7/8/9 look impressive but to be honest I was a bit shocked at the prices of 27-30 grand for what is a very basic machine. The Wacker Neuson TH412 looks really good quality, but doesn’t have massive hydraulic flow and has standard telehandler vision I.e. very little on off side a bit further price wise at £32,500.

i was hoping to get rid of old, big, numb, noisy, thirsty telehandler and replace with something that would do all the yard work loading/unloading, feeding cattle, mucking out etc but would also replace little dumper on digger jobs and go out on its own as a loader. Both and most others in this category would go on a trailer. I don’t do work in back gardens etc for the most part so size getting through gateways etc isn’t a problem so long as it’ll go on the trailer it’ll be fine. Reach isn’t really a problem as they’ll do 3m which is all I need regularly.

Do these little machines really cope with quoted loads at decent duty cycles or can they lift a lot once on flat ground with a tail wind and all the alarms going off. I really like the idea and I’m sure like a lot of people would snap one up at £15,000 but £25 or £30k just seems a lot of cash and not much on the used side to see residuals. ( either there really good and folk keep em or no one buys them in the first place?)

I’d love to hear honest opinions from anyone running similar or suggestions of other makes that are good.

Cheers,

Lee

Edited by LeeGray

Just got a SH Gehl 340 pivot steer loader. It is rated for 840kg but I tested it with 1000kg on the front without any bother but the ground was level. Reach is 2.9m from memory. It has transformed our yard as we can now get into every nook and cranny. The manoeuvrability is amazing. It would be marginal on legality on a trailer but doable if have 3.5 tonne towing capability. Only had it a week so cant give any long term feedback but the first impressions are it's the best bit of kit our farm/logs has ever bought.

Edit. I should add we got it from a farm were it had been bought as an expensive folly on whim but soon completely replaced the tractor for all loader duties. Only selling it as they wanted it's big brother 

Edited by Woodworks

Have a Weidemann 1350, 2.4 tonnes so tows nicely. Between the grab, forks and bucket it gets used every day, lifts a tonne when straight on level ground. It'd be the last machine I'd ever sell. Was pricey when I bought it but worth every penny. I reckon you won't see many second hand as lads just hang on to them for ever.

I know I am pretty biased now (but wasn’t when purchasing originally) and probably sound like a stuck record but before I bought my MultiOne I spent 6 months deciding and researching the different options out there. I now have more than one. 

If you want transportability on a trailer and a high lift capacity there really is no competition for a 9 or 10 series out there. There is big demand for the MultiOnes as the first question people ask is do you know of any second hand and unfortunately at the moment there’s not. So residual values will stay high. With the 3 year warranty that beats most of the competitors too which only average at 1 year. You honestly won t go wrong. 

i have a 10 year old schaffer 2026  which is probably a bit small for what you want but Schaffer do bigger models.It has paid for itself many times over and is very impressive in what it can lift. About 1000kgs (you can lift more but can't load it) but maneuverability is its key feature 

I also have recently bought a 1990  Volvo L50 loader which is proving its worth around the yard.This can pick up 3.5 ton plus logs no problem.

I can still get parts without delay for the Volvo. Schaffer also have excellent parts service here

I dont know about Europe but Oz is swamped with weird named loaders (joblion,everrun etc) from China.Brands that sell for 1 or 2 years then change there name to something else so then you can't get parts.They sell new very cheaply but are not worth getting into longterm

loader 005.jpg

Have a look at Tobroco Giant web page, there's quite a few fruit growers use the mid range loaders in Britain should be a few second hand ones about.

Maybe worth ringing Kirkland machinery 01644843013 the only problem is you are the other end of country.