Bird nesting season vs potentially dangerous tree

warren

Noticed a local farmers has  just flailed a few 100 metres of hedge. O.o

How about topping all  thoose 20ft wide leylandi monsters in gardens is  that not allowed?

Sorry Mrs miggins  can't do it till Septemeber?

Must admit i thoughtit was only 30m machine exclusion zone for badger setts in forestry.

And a hand cutter can fell the trees on top of the sett to the machine.

Used to be the same on the railways no machines/chip piles for 30m around a sett and u had to drag every thing, i used to hate badger setts

To be honest if the nest was over 10m away i would say u'd be fine, as has been said from now till august u'd get very littlework done if u couldn't work within 10m of a nest.

Then wot about folk triming hedges, cutting lawns next to hedges with nest's in??

It just could get awfully silly very quick

• 2 months later...

Worth finding out what the bird nest in question is. 

So long as the bird isn't a Schedule 1 species, you're fine so long as your work doesn't cause the nest to be damaged or abandoned.

Note there are some species of birds - crows, magpies and pigeons mostly - whose nests can be destroyed if there is a health and safety issue. You can download the required licence from the webpages of English Nature or Natural Resources Wales. Not sure about SNH given the report above, but it wouldn't be the first time someone working with the government agencies didn't know the law....

On 05/05/2018 at 00:19, daltontrees said:

What the f*** typical gung-ho Arbtalk advice that doesn't know the legal liabilities. I had a serous situation last year with a nesting bird preventing  felling of a really big knackered tree, and we are talking killer 30m high mature tree over a hotel dining room. It was a TPO, and I notified immediate removal under exemption. but when I checked whether there was an exemption under Wildlife and Countryside Act the 'public safety' exemption didn't apply. SNH basically said that private safety did not trump WCA prohibitions. We waited till a scabby wood pigeon left of its own accord, then the tree was removed sharpish.

Just be careful of Arbtalkers saying safety first, they won't be beside you in court giving evidence pleading in mitigation. Probably a good thing that they won't. There's such  thing as an in-credibe witnessesi. 'specially internet ones.

are you geniunely saying a pidgeon trumps the life of a human being ?

Only a grade A cretin public servant would side with a pidgeon on that and i'd want the twit with a A sat under that tree with his wife and kids until said bird was gone.