Sorting out someone else's mess.

jfc

On 01/05/2018 at 19:26, Gary Prentice said:

I seem to remember that Kevin Johnson had some dealings with Network Rail, after making some sort of enquiry he became the 'notifier' and then they decided that he was responsible for everything thereafter.

It’s been mentioned already, as well as many other sound points, for & against, IF the driver makes a judgement call and stops the train because of what he/she sees, and considers it a risk to the operation of the railway, in that split second they approach and speed by, the choppers bank balance will start haemorrhaging at an alarming rate! It’s such a judgement call, I’d have to REALLY want the job or REALLY like the customer to even consider it.... Life’s too short!

Tis a really good point about how come the trains didn’t stop whilst ladder man was up aloft though....

• Like 1

11 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

It’s been mentioned already, as well as many other sound points, for & against, IF the driver makes a judgement call and stops the train because of what he/she sees, and considers it a risk to the operation of the railway, in that split second they approach and speed by, the choppers bank balance will start haemorrhaging at an alarming rate! It’s such a judgement call, I’d have to REALLY want the job or REALLY like the customer to even consider it.... Life’s too short!

Tis a really good point about how come the trains didn’t stop whilst ladder man was up aloft though....

The guy may have been in camo gear, or the driver prolly thought he was picking fruit.

i think many options have been already stated, just rope it and cut small, and do it like on a Sunday (reduced service, between trains) or they got engineering works on,  when the trains are on strike, 

cheers

• 1 month later...

So... at the end of my street is the local railway station and a footpath which is bordered by some leylandii, planted in about 1975 and now about 60’ tall, about 15’ away from the nearest house. The trees are about 10’ away from the nearest railway track. 

The homeowner has raised a concern because the trees are blowing around significantly when the wind gets up. 

The trees are on county council land but the CC are denying all knowledge / trying to do all they can to foist the work onto someone else. 

I am guessing this is because they think the work will involve a track possession order.  Your thoughts welcome on whether this will indeed be the case, since if it is I suspect it’ll be years before anything gets done! 

38 minutes ago, djbobbins said:

The trees are about 10’ away from the nearest railway track. 

The stems or the nearest part? You need to be accurate because if no part of the tree is within 10ft of the nearest rail NR don't consider it to be on or near the line. They will still take an interest if overhanging network rail property and if there is any danger of the work threatening the line. You cannot straight fell them if they are within 2 tree lengths of the line even if wholly outwith NR property without an agreed safe system of work.

IMG_1331.jpg

This is the Google maps satellite image from last Spring. The trees in question are at the northern end of the close and effectively form the main boundary between the residential close and the station (the original timber fence being generally, to use a scientific term, knackered. The station has three platforms, the third of which you see the running tracks of in the shadow immediately north of the trees.

As an indication of scale, the red car on the drive at the house on the left is a Nissan Micra, so probably about 9-10 feet long.

It's clear they won't be able to be straight felled because of being close to the line, your insight into the rules much appreciated. I just wasn't sure if the LA would need to get a track possession even to bring in a MEWP and give them a severe topping / siding back (which would be the residents' preference, rather than felling outright, since it would maintain some visual / sound barrier.

8 minutes ago, djbobbins said:

IMG_1331.jpg

This is the Google maps satellite image from last Spring. The trees in question are at the northern end of the close and effectively form the main boundary between the residential close and the station (the original timber fence being generally, to use a scientific term, knackered. The station has three platforms, the third of which you see the running tracks of in the shadow immediately north of the trees.

As an indication of scale, the red car on the drive at the house on the left is a Nissan Micra, so probably about 9-10 feet long.

It's clear they won't be able to be straight felled because of being close to the line, your insight into the rules much appreciated. I just wasn't sure if the LA would need to get a track possession even to bring in a MEWP and give them a severe topping / siding back (which would be the residents' preference, rather than felling outright, since it would maintain some visual / sound barrier.

Too hard to judge but I think a  link up approved firm working for NR would be able to lower any overhanging branches during live running with a NR approved safe system of work. It largely depends on the line speed on that line.

Thanks for that. For what it’s worth, that part of the line is on quite a sharp (for a railway) curve and at a station, so the trains are typically only doing about 10mph tops. Might be easier to get it done that I had feared.