Hook loader

ostosix

2 hours ago, benedmonds said:

I am guessing:

https://www.gov.uk/being-a-goods-vehicle-operator/exemptions

"Is a passenger carrying vehicle..."

Not convinced that a crew cab is going to classed as a passenger carrying vehicle...

That's an interesting interpretation, a PCV has a legal definition in the Road Traffic Act 1988

"(a)

a large passenger-carrying vehicle, that is to say, a vehicle used for carrying passengers which is constructed or adapted to carry more than 16 passengers, or
(b)

a small passenger-carrying vehicle, that is to say, a vehicle used for carrying passengers for hire or reward which is constructed or adapted to carry more than 8 but not more than 16 passengers [F6and includes a combination of such a motor vehicle and trailer];"

and The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 say

"passenger vehicle    a vehicle constructed solely for the carriage of passengers and their effects." and I suspect tools and equipment are not passenger's effects.

2 hours ago, benedmonds said:

but hey they have got away with it for 10 years....

This hardly surprises me, I stepped in to administrate the vehicle fleet towards the end of my career because staff had "left" and management had allowed the baton to fall on the floor. At that stage we had been operating with no trailers registered on the O licence and had been without an operating centre for 4 years (all without my knowledge as I managed another part of the business). In the 7 years none of the 4 vehicles on the O licence was ever pulled, other than a driver using  a cellphone while moving and the copper let him off, I was a passenger at the time. The one person charged with the offence of driving a combination without an O licence didn't require one and would have been covered on our restricted licence should he have done.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1986/1078/regulation/3/made

dual-purpose vehicle     

a vehicle constructed or adapted for the carriage both of passengers and of goods or burden of any description, being a vehicle of which the unladen weight does not exceed 2040 kg, and which either—
(i)

is so constructed or adapted that the driving power of the engine is, or by the appropriate use of the controls of the vehicle can be, transmitted to all the wheels of the vehicle; or
(ii)

satisfies the following conditions as to construction, namely—
(a)

the vehicle must be permanently fitted with a rigid roof, with or without a sliding panel;
(b)

the area of the vehicle to the rear of the driver's seat must—
(i)

be permanently fitted with at least one row of transverse seats (fixed or folding) for two or more passengers and those seats must be properly sprung or cushioned and provided with upholstered back-rests, attached either to the seats or to a side or the floor of the vehicle; and
(ii)

be lit on each side and at the rear by a window or windows of glass or other transparent material having an area or aggregate area of not less than 1850 square centimetres on each side and not less than 770 square centimetres at the rear; and
(c)

the distance between the rearmost part of the steering wheel and the back-rests of the row of transverse seats satisfying the requirements specified in head (i) of sub-paragraph (b) (or, if there is more than one such row of seats, the distance between the rearmost part of the steering wheel and the back-rests of the rearmost such row) must, when the seats are ready for use, be not less than one-third of the distance between the rearmost part of the steering wheel and the rearmost part of the floor of the vehicle.

unladen weight    the weight of a vehicle or trailer inclusive of the body and all parts (the heavier being taken where alternative bodies or parts are used) which are necessary to or ordinarily used with the vehicle or trailer when working on a road, but exclusive of the weight of water, fuel or accumulators used for the purpose of the supply of power for the propulsion of the vehicle or, as the case may be, of any vehicle by which the trailer is drawn, and of loose tools and loose equipment.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1995/2869/schedule/3/made

2.  A dual-purpose vehicle and any trailer drawn by it.

So in theory if the unladen weight was less than 2040kg you could drive a dual purpose vehicle over 3500kg without an operators license. Maybe that's possible with a hookloader?

7 hours ago, Aicchalmers said:

So in theory if the unladen weight was less than 2040kg you could drive a dual purpose vehicle over 3500kg without an operators license. Maybe that's possible with a hookloader?

Yes but we would need to see the weight plate and with many diesel 4wd already failing the unladen weight bit...