Going large with a Panther Mill! Another custom double ended set up.

Rob D

We are starting to make a few custom double ended set ups now - these are not production ready as such and things like bar drilling and the nose end need tweaking but once up and running they seem to work well.

This is Scott in Devon going from a smaller Panther up to a 72" double ended version MS880 one end and MS660 on the other.

Scott Struthers.JPG

• Like 4

I think ideally Steve you want there max rpm to be very close. I wasnt happy running an 084 and an 076 together, felt like the 076 was being pushed faster than it wanted. I doubt 500 rpm difference enough to worry about for example.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have tried loads of set ups with loads of different combos - and for my pennys worth it comes down to this.

If you ran them full tilt out of the wood one saw (the faster) would drive the other.

But once buried in the wood both saws revs come down.

Say an MS880 max revs is 9000. Say an MS660 max revs is 11000.

Start cutting with these and the revs of both fall to 6000. So both are trying to push that chain around... it's not really relevant whether they rev higher than each other unladen as long as when cutting the revs on both are below their max revs.

More info here if you need it:

I have tried loads of set ups with loads of different combos - and for my pennys worth it comes down to this.

If you ran them full tilt out of the wood one saw (the faster) would drive the other.

Start cutting with these and the revs of both fall to 6000. So both are trying to push that chain around... it's not really relevant whether they rev higher than each other unladen as long as when cutting the revs on both are below their max revs.

Sure you are correct Rob, when I used a 076 which is a chugger and the 084 when we paused milling and I let go of the throttle on the 076 often the revs didn't go down at all and it sounded like it was screaming. It was very hard to tell what was going on tbh as it's all pretty loud! I ended up feeling it was prob safest to pair similar saws....i.e I would be happier with a 660 and 084 or 2x 076/ 075 /090 /051 etcs
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, billpierce said:
4 hours ago, Rob D said:

Read more  

Sure you are correct Rob, when I used a 076 which is a chugger and the 084 when we paused milling and I let go of the throttle on the 076 often the revs didn't go down at all and it sounded like it was screaming. It was very hard to tell what was going on tbh as it's all pretty loud! I ended up feeling it was prob safest to pair similar saws....i.e I would be happier with a 660 and 084 or 2x 076/ 075 /090 /051 etcs

Yep - it really still all comes down to what works best for you and there are no hard and fast rules. There are so many variables involved makes it impossible to say exactly what is right and wrong. I can only say from using really varied saws it all seemed to work pretty well.

I was thinking of getting a double ended bar to run the K095 mount which would allow people to use the smaller Huskys and/or the cheap 62cc saws off ebay to mill.

You could then have a pretty cheap setup capable of milling big timber! In theory...

1 hour ago, billpierce said:

when I used a 076 which is a chugger and the 084 when we paused milling and I let go of the throttle on the 076 often the revs didn't go down at all and it sounded like it was screaming.

Sounds a sure way to seize a saw. With the throttle closed it will only getting petroil through the idle jet, so max revs and min lubrication.

As an aside it's why you never coasted Ariel Leaders down hill and why 2t Saabs had a free-wheeling clutch.

Edited by openspaceman