zero tail swing diggers

steve@black

I'm looking for a digger 2.7 ton or so for towing to operate a log grab and flail . Zero tail swing seems to be the most available but seems to me of lifting logs then surely a counterbalance is a better idea . I've driven machines a little but will be a learning curve and for the use we want it for training will have to be done . Any advice from you guys that have used these machines gratefully received . 

I'm looking for a digger 2.7 ton or so for towing to operate a log grab and flail . Zero tail swing seems to be the most available but seems to me of lifting logs then surely a counterbalance is a better idea . I've driven machines a little but will be a learning curve and for the use we want it for training will have to be done . Any advice from you guys that have used these machines gratefully received . 
When handling logs into the sawmill, I dread seeing the client proudly turn up with a zero swing. I force them to handle the largest logs first ,well away from my mill, and rotate 360° at full extension to give me an idea if their stability, and them an idea of the risk. They're fine working along the line of the tracks but lose quite an amount of reach with the longer undercarriage.

Full fat machine all day long if you can get them in. 

Some nice machines to look at, but watch the weights if you're intending to tow and need to carry attachments.

The Takeuchi Tb225 really has to be most peoples starting point now, such will be the versatility and stability of the expanding undercarriage, and the weight falls spot on to leave enough spare capacity for attachments.

Having the necessary pipework available from the factory is a huge bonus.

If you have other means of moving the machine that gives you the ability to go over towing weight, then you have a fantastic range to choose from.

Eddie.

As others have said go for conventional tail if poss. There are still quite a few models at the 2.8t but admittedly some are some are being somewhat optimistic when they claim to be towable!  

If your not buying new. Then Takeuchi tb125 and Kubota KX71-3 are probably the best machines that can just about be towed. I have the former and it’s been fantastic, but it is a lump behind the defender no doubt- that said Iv been towing this size behind the same defender regularly for 6 years and have had minimal issues.

7 hours ago, LGP Eddie said:

Full fat machine all day long if you can get them in. 

Some nice machines to look at, but watch the weights if you're intending to tow and need to carry attachments.

The Takeuchi Tb225 really has to be most peoples starting point now, such will be the versatility and stability of the expanding undercarriage, and the weight falls spot on to leave enough spare capacity for attachments.

Having the necessary pipework available from the factory is a huge bonus.

If you have other means of moving the machine that gives you the ability to go over towing weight, then you have a fantastic range to choose from.

Eddie.

I’m just not sure on what I think about the TB225, looking at the specs it really only has about an extra 20cm reach and full height over the TB216 yet weighs an extra 600kg, the lift capacity is quite a bit greater thought. I had a price for a TB216 and it was £17k and the TB225 was £24.5k which is quite a big increase and then I start to think for another grand or two you could have a 2.8 tonner  which with the right trailer and tow vehicle can theoretically be do-able and really is much more of a machine than the tb225 in terms of reach and lift capacity.

Edited by Matthew Storrs

17 minutes ago, Matthew Storrs said:

I’m just not sure on what I think about the TB225, looking at the specs it really only has about an extra 20cm reach and full height over the TB216 yet weighs an extra 600kg, the lift capacity is quite a bit greater thought. I had a price for a TB216 and it was £17k and the TB225 was £24.5k which is quite a big increase and then I start to think for another grand or two you could have a 2.8 tonner  which with the right trailer and tow vehicle can theoretically be do-able and really is much more of a machine than the tb225 in terms of reach and lift capacity.

Don't always believe the Takeuchi weight lifting charts, our TB230 doesn't lift what the book says it should.
Also if looking at 2.8 ton the TB230 has very week tracking power when you are in boggy/soft ground, apart from that it's a cracking machine.

Edited by scraggs