Cedar of Lebanon Timber

Spruce Pirate

I've managed to get a few bits of Cedar of Lebanon timber from a recent job, was thinking to get a few of benches out of them, maybe some bird-houses.  Am I right in thinking that Cedar is reasonably durable but not construction grade strong?  Can some of the resident experts give me some advice?

Many thanks.

Cedar of Lebanon is a timber with some wonderful properties.  The heartwood is very durable (unfortunately though it has a very wide band of sapwood) and although not as strong as say Oak or Ash it could be strong enough for construction - it all depends on straight grain and large knots as with any timber.  Typically it does have lots of large knots, so this is the reason it is not considered a strong timber.  Any length that is straight grained and free of large knots will be strong.

Cedar of Leb also is very easy to dry and does not distort much as it dries.  Also it has a wonderful smell, although this diminishes over time.

I would say it is ideal for garden benches, but of course the sapwood may eventually rot.  And also good for bird boxes.  I am assuming the birdies will not mind the smell of the wood.  It will soon be obliterated by their own smells anyway.  Hope this helps.

• Like 2

Hi cedar of Lebanon is an ace timber for outside benches as with any cedar it’s also very good for blanket box’s and wardrobes as the bugs hate it , one of my favourite woods I have made quite a few benches out of cedar of Lebanon , hope this helps and do post some pics of what you make 

Cheers Mark

• Like 1

12 hours ago, timbernut said:

How about Atlantic cedar (blue) does it have any similar uses?
I have a couple of 30” trunks and not sure whether worth milling or just firewood or is it any good for carving?

Yes almost identical timber, mill those trunks, and get some lovely slabs.  Shame on you for even thinking of turning them into firewood....!  And yes also like Cedar of Lebanon very favoured by chainsaw carvers. 

Or if you are near me (South East Wales) sell them to me! ;) 

Yes almost identical timber, mill those trunks, and get some lovely slabs.  Shame on you for even thinking of turning them into firewood....!  And yes also like Cedar of Lebanon very favoured by chainsaw carvers. 

Or if you are near me (South East Wales) sell them to me! [emoji6] 

[emoji15]sorry, lol, I promise not to log it (all[emoji33])
Didn’t know it had similar properties to Lebanon, thought it was shit, I guess because we have worked on several that have collapsed with weak branch unions.
Sadly, for you, I’m in Norfolk, otherwise you’d be welcome to some. Coming to a wedding in your neck o the woods in June but don’t fink I’ll get trunk in the motor[emoji3]!

30 minutes ago, timbernut said:

emoji15.pngsorry, lol, I promise not to log it (allemoji33.png)
Didn’t know it had similar properties to Lebanon, thought it was shit, I guess because we have worked on several that have collapsed with weak branch unions.
Sadly, for you, I’m in Norfolk, otherwise you’d be welcome to some. Coming to a wedding in your neck o the woods in June but don’t fink I’ll get trunk in the motoremoji3.png!

That's what roof bars are for.....!  ;) Can't do all those crazy emojis, just a simple semi-colon and a bracket is about as emoji as I get.... They'll make a movie about them next.