O Licence Exemption

JonnyRFT

I just want to check with you more informed people that I am safe and operating legally...

6. Drivers hours / tachograph and operators licence - GCWover 3,500kg

The towing vehicle for combinations with a GCWabove 3,500kg may require a tachograph if used for commercial purposes and the driver must obey drivers hours regulations. Similarly operator licensing may apply.

Hi guys, I know this is mentioned a fair bit on here but I’m actually struggling to search for a definitive answer to the O Licence regs.

I’m looking to find a legal exemption for my towing capabilities.

The following EXEMPTION is what I’ve lifted from “Gov”

“A trailer with an unladen weight of less than 1,020kg need not be taken into account in the weight calculation for a vehicle pulling a trailer. It therefore can be ignored for the purposes of adding up total gross weights or unladen weights to determine whether they are above the threshold for requiring an operator’s licence.”

Here’s the info of what I’m currently using/driving...

I already hold the B+E licence. 

I mainly use a 3.2t VW T6 with 5.7t GTW.

My biggest trailer is a 3.5t Car Transporter

All of the trailers I have are not heavy.

My General Duties Trailers are 450kg unladen.

My Transporter Trailer is 810kg unladen.

I would say my average weight combined is 5000kg as that’s what I’m seeing on the weigh-bridge at the end of each day. 

I just want to clarify that I’m totally fine right?

Now, the reason I ask this is because I’m currently ordering a new truck. I always lease. I’m with a corporate company of which subsidise me for the vehicles I choose and have a policy for vehicles being no older than 4 years old.

I ordered a Toyota Hilux with a conversion tipper. The lease company have freaked out, slapped a massive monthly payment on it and told me I’ll need an O Licence.

The Hilux Tipper is a 3150kg with a 6650kg GTW. 

IM CONFUSED!!!!

Edited by JonnyRFT
Spelling Mistakes

So you have ordered a new vehicle, then want to retrospectively lease it through a 3rd party?

Or is the vehicle being brought directly through a lease company. 

Just pay for it another way. 

Sounds like they have either made a mistake or are trying to have your pants down.

2 minutes ago, Jonny69 said:

So you have ordered a new vehicle, then want to retrospectively lease it through a 3rd party?

Or is the vehicle being brought directly through a lease company. 

Just pay for it another way. 

Sounds like they have either made a mistake or are trying to have your pants down.

I choose the vehicle and put it to the company I work for. They then ask for 10 lease companies to quote. We choose the cheapest. It’s a company vehicle at the end of the day but I get private use and sole use. I also pay for the balloon payments at the end and sell the trucks off for profit.

It’s the only way I can get a vehicle. The company don’t purchase anymore, just lease.

38 minutes ago, JonnyRFT said:

I choose the vehicle and put it to the company I work for. They then ask for 10 lease companies to quote. We choose the cheapest. It’s a company vehicle at the end of the day but I get private use and sole use. I also pay for the balloon payments at the end and sell the trucks off for profit.

It’s the only way I can get a vehicle. The company don’t purchase anymore, just lease.

Sounds like you are up the creek then. Although there is no way that vehicle requires an O licence. You may well need a tacho for towing if you travel any distance. 

I can't really understand how the O licence has any relevance to the cost of the vehicle or it's monthly payments.

Just go through a different lease company.

5 minutes ago, Jonny69 said:

Sounds like you are up the creek then. Although there is no way that vehicle requires an O licence. You may well need a tacho for towing if you travel any distance. 

I can't really understand how the O licence has any relevance to the cost of the vehicle or it's monthly payments.

I think it must be some garbled information I’m getting hence why I’m so confused. Perhaps it’s only one company saying this and like you say, I should just go with another. Because I don’t deal with them direct, I only get my info from my company fleet manager. When they threw the O Licence question, I panicked and thought I’ve been towing illegally for years.

1 hour ago, Jonny69 said:

I agree, no O licence needed but probably would need tachograph unless operating under an exemption.

Edited by openspaceman
premature posting
  • Like 1

I hold a class 1 licence and my understanding is if you have a b+e licence then that only entitles you to drive / pull a trailer with a combined vehicle and trailer weight up to (and including) 3500kgs (3.5 tonne) so tacho exempt. If your average weight is 5 tonne..... i would say your illegal?! Anyone else please elaborate and jump in here. O licence would be irrelevant up to and including 3.5 tonnes.

1 hour ago, Ratman said:

I hold a class 1 licence and my understanding is if you have a b+e licence then that only entitles you to drive / pull a trailer with a combined vehicle and trailer weight up to (and including) 3500kgs (3.5 tonne) so tacho exempt. If your average weight is 5 tonne..... i would say your illegal?! Anyone else please elaborate and jump in here. O licence would be irrelevant up to and including 3.5 tonnes.

it's a good point, I was assuming he had a pre 97 test so had C1, if not you are right.

RE the above I was getting confused by the reference to 5 tonne, Re reading the thread I'll revert to my first position. No O licence required as the towing vehicle is under 3500kg and the trailer less than 1024kg. Tacho necessary  for deliveries but maybe not within 100km of base if only carrying tools and equipment for driver's job.

Edited by openspaceman
Originally responded without re reading thread