Branch Loggers

Mr J

I have a log biomass boiler and feel that a few nets of the processed small stuff would be ideal as kindling & also make good use of what has previously been wasted. 

If anyone has a branch logger for sale, please let me know, otherwise think I’ll have to buy new. 

Has anyone dealt with Welmac or woodprocessor24 before?

You can see my comments at the bottom of this page when we first bought one from Welmac

It was stolen and I replaced it with another make called Remet from Poland I think but tractor driven this time with a little more capacity than the Urban petrol engine one., besides being cheaper.

I put it behind the Little Grey Fergie and they are a good match.

Welmac are very good and Andrew Balfe is very helpful

Regularly use branch loggings on our office stove, a Clearview Pioneer, and the pub still asks for them.

To sell them as I said before you need to be very selective about the material and diameters of the brash.  You can put the whole branch through but you end up with a load of twigs that become stuck in the netting and which drop out when people carry it through their house which is not popular.

hi

i have a welmac logger with petrol engine

its been 100 reliable

use the mini logs in the log boiler up to  about 50 /50 with logs  and woodburner

kindling for starting the wood burner is great and to give things a boost

i use a bucket full  about 1/3 of a bag a night 

not so good for the boiler but didnt really persist as have loads of fragments from the log splitter

which are a1  for kindling

as mr billhook says its not as simple as feeding in whole branches    too twiggy in most cases

ash and chesnut are just  about  ok to put thru whole

some of the bags fall apart as not uv stabilised ???

tried some in barrow bags which were fine but a bit awkward  to empty 

Hi Yes we had one of the Urban branch logger from Welmac. It was pretty good and never had any problems. The casing is a bit light duty but the heart of the thing was built like a tank. I bought it speculatively hoping to sell the product it made but it did not go down well with customers. Same problems that have already been covered on here. It's a messy product and did not sell well and was not as good a kindling as we would have hoped. Surprising heavy and awkward to handle in the nets when fresh due to weight. It did make great charcoal when using the cleaner material without much twiggy material. Still miss it when chopping up stock for our charcoal making and keep looking at the Remet ones with a conveyor so you could use IBCs or vented bags but cant justify it for our tiny charcoal production. 

I was wondering if there was any future in putting the loggings in a smaller paper sack, similar to the charcoal bags, like a small potato paper sack.  It would be lighter for women to carry and just chuck the whole bag on the fire so no mess.  I think it would work well to start a fire as the bag would act like kindling.

1 hour ago, Billhook said:

I was wondering if there was any future in putting the loggings in a smaller paper sack, similar to the charcoal bags, like a small potato paper sack.  It would be lighter for women to carry and just chuck the whole bag on the fire so no mess.  I think it would work well to start a fire as the bag would act like kindling.

I seem to think CPL did  something similar a customer of mine was mates with owner of Cpl and he brought him a few round to trial I think you just lighted the bag and it had a fire lighter and kindling in it. It was aimed at posh people who had never lighted a fire before.

Overall I think it would sell 

8 hours ago, bankhouse builder said:

I seem to think CPL did  something similar a customer of mine was mates with owner of Cpl and he brought him a few round to trial I think you just lighted the bag and it had a fire lighter and kindling in it. It was aimed at posh people who had never lighted a fire before.

Overall I think it would sell 

Judging by the amount of people who buy small packs of kindling from our local garage at £3.50 a pack, I would agree.  It would just be a question of the cost of the bag and bag tie and the faffing about.  In this case you could also leave the twiggy bits which should mean that you do not need to put in a relatively expensive firelighter and you can advertise your product as being  natural and organic, with no added pollutants or plastic bag waste!

(I do not think that calling it "Green" would be a good advertising slogan!)

Perhaps they would be more popular for starting BBQs without the firelighter contaminating the food.