How to Become an Arborist

LandmarkTrading

Most arborists we know are very passionate individuals. Drawn to the work as more of a calling rather than 'just a job'.

So for those feeling the call, exactly how do you become an Arborist?

https://www.landmarktrading.com/blog/how-to-become-an-arborist/

How did you become an arborist? Was it a calling? A desire to work outside and with nature? Or was it a desperate desire NOT to work in an office 9-5? We'd love to know.

Img1.jpg

I’ve always hated trees from an early age, I fought against my desires which were considered odd, even perverse for many years, then, after a while, arboramaculteralism became more and more accepted I stopped hiding from myself, took a course and learned how to kill them quicker and in more interesting ways.

The rest, as they say, is history.

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 2

I was cold and had run out of fire wood.
So I got a blunt carpentry saw and attacked the 60 foot ash tree in my field.
Several days of cutting later my neighbour took pity and lent me a blunt bow saw.
Another week later I bought a ten year old stihl 021c.
Oh the joy!!!!
Three months coppicing with a local farmer later, I went and bought my first proper saw, stihl ms440 25" bar.
That was over ten years ago now.
Oh how times change.
[emoji3]

• Like 1

I started by helping out at my brothers company for 1 day a week when I had a day off from my other job.  Took to it and eventually started doing a little bit of climbing here and there and took to it so he offered me a full time job.

Back then it was hard work, few chippers about.  My job was typically dragging and stacking in the back of the truck.  No pruning saws back then as such.  My main tool was a bow saw.  When I had got as much as I could i'd have to get someone to jump in the back and trash it down with a chainsaw.  The truck was a dropsite with a 12ft buck, no tipper which meant unloading at the end of the day was also a major ball ache.  We did have a tractor in the yard and on the odd occasion that it would actually start we were able to drop both sides of the truck down and push it off from one side and drive the truck forward.

• Like 1

I think anybody should have a go ( at climbing that is ). One thing leads to the other.

I started climbing when I went up the wrong scramble route on Sca Fell which quickly turned into a dangerous slippery technical climb. Decided after to learn how to climb. Unfortunately this was a few years after falling from an ash in my garden removing a limb fracturing several ribs
  • Like 2