Gloucester Services

Billhook

38 minutes ago, difflock said:

Is that "Tebay" up at Shap, a favourite stop for our jaunts from Stranraer to the Channel ports, and back.

I have a notion I have also been in these  Gloucester services, since they look familiar in the images, but I need to find them on a map to double check.

cheers

mth

Yeah, Tebay is the other one. 
I was in there yesterday coincidentally!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, monkeybusiness said:

Yeah, Tebay is the other one. 
I was in there yesterday coincidentally!

I reckon that the same farming family have took on one in Scotland on the M74 too. Pricey, but quality.  I stopped today on the M6, Franklin? What a dire dive!

10 hours ago, difflock said:

Is that "Tebay" up at Shap, a favourite stop for our jaunts from Stranraer to the Channel ports, and back.

I have a notion I have also been in these  Gloucester services, since they look familiar in the images, but I need to find them on a map to double check.

cheers

mth

Tebay that's the original - never been but planning a trip to inverness next month so will call in. Westmoreland is the family name, they own a farm at the Tebay site, land was compulsory purchased to build the motorway, pretty isolated location so the workers on the roads had nowhere to go for scram. They got a hut together for them and that's how it started. I met Mr. Westmoreland during the build at Gloucester, he was still involved but was being run mostly by his daughter and a big team from Tebay. Very tight nit bunch with a broad view and not afraid of graft.

GOO.GL

★★★★★ · Aire de repos

- that's the spot, cheers, Tim

• Like 1

Hi Billhook, thanks for the comment - main work is getting hold of trees to mill for timber use, anything from western red for external garden projects or hardwoods, garden exotics and unusual specimens for makers. I'm a maker who couldn't find any local timber for joinery and cabinet work, so ended up setting up a small saw mill with some other woodies. It's become harder to get hold of sticks from contractors over the years (all of them processing for firewood now) so I've moved into climbing to access the timber direct. Not been easy, I'm scared of heights and don't like seeing trees being cut down, but I do love timber and all the associated processes and people. Have worked with some great climbers and skilled arborists so had knowledge to call on. It's very satisfying to take care in removing a tree, milling the boards, drying them over months and sometimes years, then seeing someone find just what they need for a particular project. And I get the pick of the timber for the stuff I make too. Cheers, Tim

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Timber Futures said:

Hi Billhook, thanks for the comment - main work is getting hold of trees to mill for timber use, anything from western red for external garden projects or hardwoods, garden exotics and unusual specimens for makers. I'm a maker who couldn't find any local timber for joinery and cabinet work, so ended up setting up a small saw mill with some other woodies. It's become harder to get hold of sticks from contractors over the years (all of them processing for firewood now) so I've moved into climbing to access the timber direct. Not been easy, I'm scared of heights and don't like seeing trees being cut down, but I do love timber and all the associated processes and people. Have worked with some great climbers and skilled arborists so had knowledge to call on. It's very satisfying to take care in removing a tree, milling the boards, drying them over months and sometimes years, then seeing someone find just what they need for a particular project. And I get the pick of the timber for the stuff I make too. Cheers, Tim

What machine do you mill with?

13 hours ago, Timber Futures said:

Hi there, just joined this site looking for somewhere near Gloucester to drop some chip and this topic came up in the search for some reason. I was responsible for putting in the trees for the lighting in both north and south bound Gloucester services. I extracted the trees for the job from a small woodland near May Hill (nr. Newent), nice ash about 70 years old. Had to get them out as complete as possible to meet the architects spec. Tricky job all completed with a Warn winch fitted to a  Discovery TD5 to get them roadside for collection. Also put in some log screens in North bound and the log pendant lights which I really enjoyed hacking out. The services are a family owned outfit that insist on using local providers whenever they can, really nice people to work for. The original services was put in on their farm up north which started out as tea hut for the guys building the motorway. I understand they've acquired land just north of London on the M1 and will be building there too. They had a lot of planning issues to deal with, mostly raised by the big services owners who tried to block the planning at many levels. They stuck at it though and the result is a game changer for looking after people who travel. Good job too.

Did you find the tip site section? Sounds like you were using the wrong search function 

56 minutes ago, Billhook said:

What machine do you mill with?

We use and AutoTrek - built in Devon by LogLogic - one man operated, 6.5m bed, 1.2m width capacity and can self load up to a 4 tonne log. Uses 4" wide stylite tipped blades - very nice machine, super accurate cut.

1 hour ago, Timber Futures said:

We use and AutoTrek - built in Devon by LogLogic - one man operated, 6.5m bed, 1.2m width capacity and can self load up to a 4 tonne log. Uses 4" wide stylite tipped blades - very nice machine, super accurate cut.

Never come across autotrek before but just had a look at their website, Saw looks massive and very well built.