Gloucester Services

Billhook

13 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Good random thread.

In the sixties and early seventies my parents (who were Irish) drove my sister, elder brother and I to Wexford from West Sussex every summer for holidays.

We left early in the morning and drove through the day arriving at the Severn Bridge late in the afternoon (in a Vauxhall Viva or before that a Vauxhall Victor) it was a hellish journey for me, as the youngest I had to sit in the middle.

I insisted (much to my father’s annoyance as it was expensive) that we stopped at the Severn Bridge services which I loved, huge vertical windows that looked out over the bridge itself.

It seemed so modern and space age it captured my imagination.

I bought my first Marvel comic and ate my first yoghurt there.

Funny the things you remember.

Here’s  the view from the seating that I remember and the outside view.

8DECBC46-D303-4C88-A3F1-C503EDECCCE1.jpeg

C3DE0EB7-860A-4F49-BDC2-0DDB3E96CA0E.jpeg

what part of Loch Garman are yer folks originally from Mick?

• 3 years later...

Hi there, just joined this site looking for somewhere near Gloucester to drop some chip and this topic came up in the search for some reason. I was responsible for putting in the trees for the lighting in both north and south bound Gloucester services. I extracted the trees for the job from a small woodland near May Hill (nr. Newent), nice ash about 70 years old. Had to get them out as complete as possible to meet the architects spec. Tricky job all completed with a Warn winch fitted to a  Discovery TD5 to get them roadside for collection. Also put in some log screens in North bound and the log pendant lights which I really enjoyed hacking out. The services are a family owned outfit that insist on using local providers whenever they can, really nice people to work for. The original services was put in on their farm up north which started out as tea hut for the guys building the motorway. I understand they've acquired land just north of London on the M1 and will be building there too. They had a lot of planning issues to deal with, mostly raised by the big services owners who tried to block the planning at many levels. They stuck at it though and the result is a game changer for looking after people who travel. Good job too.

• Like 8

We live a few miles outside Gloucester and if ever passing I usually hop on the motorway for a one junction trip to grab some scram and do a bit of shopping. Loads of the produce is cooked and baked on site using local stuff - it can be a bit pricey but they sell off all the fresh baked pies and cakes cheap at the end of the day. Well worth a visit - nice timber work too!

• Like 1

Is that "Tebay" up at Shap, a favourite stop for our jaunts from Stranraer to the Channel ports, and back.

I have a notion I have also been in these  Gloucester services, since they look familiar in the images, but I need to find them on a map to double check.

cheers

mth

2 hours ago, Timber Futures said:

Hi there, just joined this site looking for somewhere near Gloucester to drop some chip and this topic came up in the search for some reason. I was responsible for putting in the trees for the lighting in both north and south bound Gloucester services. I extracted the trees for the job from a small woodland near May Hill (nr. Newent), nice ash about 70 years old. Had to get them out as complete as possible to meet the architects spec. Tricky job all completed with a Warn winch fitted to a  Discovery TD5 to get them roadside for collection. Also put in some log screens in North bound and the log pendant lights which I really enjoyed hacking out. The services are a family owned outfit that insist on using local providers whenever they can, really nice people to work for. The original services was put in on their farm up north which started out as tea hut for the guys building the motorway. I understand they've acquired land just north of London on the M1 and will be building there too. They had a lot of planning issues to deal with, mostly raised by the big services owners who tried to block the planning at many levels. They stuck at it though and the result is a game changer for looking after people who travel. Good job too.

Quite a big thread bump and very welcome.  Very well done TF, we need a lot more of this around the country

What is your main line of work and are you doing anything similar at the moment?