David Dobedoe

49 minutes ago, billpierce said:
1 hour ago, Mark Bolam said:
Since they’ve been out I’ve seen at least 10 horror stories with splices slipping, which hardly fills me with confidence.

Blocks popping out their splice? Minging

that wouldnt cause a failure, the rope would still be contained within the splice of the eye

15 hours ago, Steve Bullman said:

that wouldnt cause a failure, the rope would still be contained within the splice of the eye

Untill it burned through.

The problem lies in the fact that as the name suggests it's a ring.

Eyes will elongate under load,That is why "thimbles" the metal inner part of the eye in a manufactured wire rope connection are teardrop shaped. They remain in contact with the elongation of the loaded wire eye.

A splice will elongate under load as it is dynamic.A solution would be to manufacture the ring as a teardrop shape and have the rope around it pressed together"taletted" so the surrounding rope is pretensions and will not elongate under a rated load.

You could call them "X drop's" for example.

• Like 1

Yeah my safe blocs nearly popped out a couple of times .. it’s a handy bit of kit but expensive like the rings for what they are .... if you don’t like your rope .. or for factoring the cost of a rope next to rings pulleys etc just go oh natural?? Natural crotch rigging can be really smooth if not more effective at times... my bad sketch .. this technique save us on Monday and wish I had the go pro on so you would not have to settle for a crap sketch !! it took a huge top with complete ease and was so smooth it surprised me and I felt the safe bloc would of still needed backing up with a porta wrap if both had not been left out and put in another rigging kit, also the climber can easily control big loads self rigging ..if thought out I actually enjoy this style of rigging more than swinging /lift and balancing rigging.. feels more of an achievement than relying on fancy gear IMG_6082.jpg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Mike Hill said:

Untill it burned through.

The problem lies in the fact that as the name suggests it's a ring.

Eyes will elongate under load,That is why "thimbles" the metal inner part of the eye in a manufactured wire rope connection are teardrop shaped. They remain in contact with the elongation of the loaded wire eye.

A splice will elongate under load as it is dynamic.A solution would be to manufacture the ring as a teardrop shape and have the rope around it pressed together"taletted" so the surrounding rope is pretensions and will not elongate under a rated load.

You could call them "X drop's" for example.

Think you're wrong there mate, a spliced eye will not significantly stretch under load. Possibly a tiny amount but since there's only very small amount of rope in a spliced eye it shouldn't mate a difference. 

The shape is relevant though. It's very difficult to get a splice snug you the outer circumference of a ring, due to the splicing process. There'll always be a bit of a gap where the rope re-enters itself. A tear drop shape (or just more pronounced flares on the ring) would make it more secure. 

Yeah my safe blocs nearly popped out a couple of times .. it’s a handy bit of kit but expensive like the rings for what they are .... if you don’t like your rope .. or for factoring the cost of a rope next to rings pulleys etc just go oh natural?? Natural crotch rigging can be really smooth if not more effective at times... my bad sketch .. this technique save us on Monday and wish I had the go pro on so you would not have to settle for a crap sketch !! it took a huge top with complete ease and was so smooth it surprised me and I felt the safe bloc would of still needed backing up with a porta wrap if both had not been left out and put in another rigging kit, also the climber can easily control big loads self rigging ..if thought out I actually enjoy this style of rigging more than swinging /lift and balancing rigging.. feels more of an achievement than relying on fancy gear IMG_6082.thumb.jpg.92ebf93694eff087bc8b84cd760d7e45.jpg

That climber looks proper sinister!
  • Like 1