Aforestt/miyawaki method planting

I have been asked by a friend to help plant some trees/woodland.

They are keen to use the Miyawaki method and have sent me a link to Aforestt website. 

Its definately different techniques to my very basic knowledge of planting and was wondering if anyone has knowledge of it or if it works in tempate zones. 

I’m trying to keep an open mind but not sure you can grow ‘hundred year old forest in 10 years’

• Like 1

Reading about the method on wiki its sounds very interesting, but im having a hard time finding the actually guide to the  practical techniques used on that Aforestt   website behind the marketing gloss.

Looks like very dense planting like what happens when a tree  seeds naturally? (e.g sycamore regen) & planting pioneer species (e.g sliver birch)

I can see some advantages it working well in tropics as  dense planting forms a leave canopy fast blocking weed competition & stops soil drying out eroding by wind rain etc

Better info here:

http://urban-forests.com/en/

If the site it large its going to be alot of work/expense to raise & plant that many seedlings to plant at such a density. Also won't the trees evetually be stunted being so close, they don't mention any thinning?

There is a link to stuff in a drop box folder on their website which specifies what is added to the ground based on soil tests (water infiltration, pH etc..) and other aspects of the planting methods (it is for India though so you wont get the same organic material etc in the UK). I remember it was a bit of a roundabout way to get to the links though. The material required to be added was quite a lot per meter but the idea is to get the soil as good as possible before planting stuff. Good research and good  luck!

Thanks guys. Yes i need to do a lot more reading. Im all for thinking/working outside the box but dont want them to waste money (maybe plant more trees conventionally instead?)

my main concern is there is only 12-18 topsoil on site then down on to chalk/flint. They want to dig down a meter and add loads of organic matter but seems a bit wrong dragging up a load of subsoil. I’ll keep you posted on how things progress