Happy campers

the village idiot

3 minutes ago, Mack said:

This right here is what i want, just big enough for me and the missus.  I wouldn't personally want to spend many nights in it but we do like our road trips around europe and staying at hotels every single night gets a bit pricey after a while.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2011-MERCEDES-VITO-113CDI-CAMPER-VAN-PROFESSIONALLY-CONVERTED/263614398240?hash=item3d60a47f20:g:cnAAAOSwBIRa1jdF

Cor!

Darth Vader's old run-around.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, the village idiot said:

Panel van conversion, transporter type with pop up roof.

Budget up to £25,000.

Don't know whether its best to pay more and have resale value or go cheaper.

Where in the country are you? My gfs uncle converts vans for a living. For 25k you could get an all singing and dancing 1. He did a transporter t4 for me a few years ago and it looked great. Cost me 3k to do up. He's in south devon. 

1 minute ago, joshuatree said:

Where in the country are you? My gfs uncle converts vans for a living. For 25k you could get an all singing and dancing 1. He did a transporter t4 for me a few years ago and it looked great. Cost me 3k to do up. He's in south devon. 

Perfect! I'm in East Suffolk:D

Seriously though, many thanks for the thought.

Have you got any pictures?

5 minutes ago, the village idiot said:

Perfect! I'm in East Suffolk:D

Seriously though, many thanks for the thought.

Have you got any pictures?

Ah well i'm sure he could make the pedals wider for your 6 toes ?. Used to live in diss mate I know what goes on in the east. 

I dont have any of my van as I dont own it anymore and the photos are on a now deceased phone. I can ask the gf for some off her uncle and get back to you.

But he does them to order and your spec so your only limited to your imagine and wallet.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, the village idiot said:

Yes, that's the sort of thing.

It would be my only vehicle, transit would go.

I have a cabin on a piece of land and I would alternate between this and the van.

Anyone got something similar?

How are you thinking of getting/ storing power? Being off grid, (assuming you will be) you are going to need to charge batteries, I guess you could run a genny in the woods but it won't go down well in a residential area.

31 minutes ago, Chessa said:

I had a VW Caddy Maxi Life (petrol) for a while. It was small compared to other vans out and about, but a great all-rounder for family trips to the mountains and the sea; and great for passenger/dog transport (7 seats - 5 removable in various combinations). At work it was wonderful for lugging long and wide work tools, and piles of muddy outdoor gear, and for the luxury of heated-seats-with-music-lunch-breaks dodging the wind and rain. Plus, it was perfect for dossing down in for overnight journeys and nights out under the stars - even saving on taxi fares from nights on the town - parked up on leafy suburban streets.

I didn’t convert it, as I’d always planned to pass it on and hopefully upgrade one day - in line with my life plans a’changing. I’ve got static caravan + bike for a bit, and I’m “happy as”...but really do miss the convenience and freedom of a camper.

Happy Camping indeed!

8BB79F6D-250C-4381-8605-40BB23B272AF.jpeg

9D4182B2-CCD7-4335-9C6A-1B41EFB86D48.jpeg

C5E23053-B690-46F3-8A2C-6EF16577AD59.jpeg

1C96CEDC-9ADF-484C-98EA-EB8E02D1A331.jpeg

C5696C2E-FFFC-46B2-8401-78142149CEE9.jpeg

CC9C5BBE-C880-4481-9DA4-2E72FE7D5FBD.jpeg

Last two pics Red squirrel campsite in Glencoe?

7 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

How are you thinking of getting/ storing power? Being off grid, (assuming you will be) you are going to need to charge batteries, I guess you could run a genny in the woods but it won't go down well in a residential area.

I've got mains in the cabin at Idiot Acres so can top up batteries there in between Woodland stays.

Got a big genny at the Wood to power the splitters, this can be used as a back up.

I have a Talbot Express Highlander Mk1which I paid £1k for from my brother who no longer needed it and had no where to store it. The moho has a toilet, shower, gas cooker, fridge freezer and is a 4 berth. I have added power steering and have a patch of damp to repair on one of the walls. I am going to strip of the aluminium sealing strips and reseal them and them paint the roof with Cromapol. I am also going to paint the walls as they are a hideous grey colour and it currently looks like wallpaper. I discovered the tyres were 17 years old the other day so all five will have to be replaced with 8 ply tyres as the van is 3.5 tons. Its only done 75k and as its a 2.5 diesel theres loads of life left in it. The moho is 24 years old and is pretty good for its age. The talbots are great as spares are available pretty cheaply and lots of 2nd parts are available from breakers. There is also a good Talbot owners forum with a lot of folk in the trade being regular contributors.

My reason for buying it was for going away to 2 or 3 day craft events and not having to get up dead early or pay for a hotel overnight. My target for getting it moving is the end of June as I have a 3 day event in Sunderland (I think I might be a bit optimistic there!)

• Like 1