Happy campers

the village idiot

I have a vw t4 4x4 syncro. It's a pretty got all rounder. Yes they are insanely expensive to get into compared with similar vans of same age but like hiluxs and mercs etc they have a good rep for being pretty reliable. They also good there value well (like a landrover I expect them to be up in value of next decade). Mines just a work/ family transport/ camping missions vehicle but plenty people out there ready to convert to campers pretty cheap.

Personally I am into reliable more old fashioned vehicles and don't need vans to drive like cars!

Reports are that the t5s especially the 2.0tdi are less reliable and made a bit more lighter ( transmissions etc)20180408_111818.jpg

• Like 1

I like to be able to stand up inside, this'll depends on your height, I'm just under 6ft.

I built a camper out of a SWB med roof front wheel drive Transit - this is just big enough to stand up in, but has a similar length to an estate car so good turning circle and can park in a normal space (just).

I kept it fairly basic, fixed double bed, unit/cupboard, diesel night heater, inverter, microwave, portable gas stove. Single passenger seat in the front so you can walkthrough, and single belted crew van seat in the rear. Flettner vent and foil insulation on the roof to stop condensation but keep headroom.

No chemical toilet as they take up a fair bit of space, and most importantly I have no means to empty one

• Like 1

Yup, the beluga bulge was a recent addition to have a useable space over the cab. Now there's enough space to kneel in the bed up there (a design essential :-D )
Well you got a nice looking curve in on quiff. Fine looking truck you have there. Here is my last camper:
20160613_174136.jpg
  • Like 2

This right here is what i want, just big enough for me and the missus.  I wouldn't personally want to spend many nights in it but we do like our road trips around europe and staying at hotels every single night gets a bit pricey after a while.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2011-MERCEDES-VITO-113CDI-CAMPER-VAN-PROFESSIONALLY-CONVERTED/263614398240?hash=item3d60a47f20:g:cnAAAOSwBIRa1jdF

• Like 1