Damage by spurs

westphalian

Some might argue it wouldn't do anything.  But any wounding to a tree beyond which is necessary should be avoided.  If you can't climb without spikes then get someone in who can do it.  Spikes for removals only 

I took some cross sections from some previously spiked Beech trees several years ago, wish I still had them.  every wound had healed over nicely inside but the scarring was quite visible on the outside to the trained eye.

• Like 3

Surly any tree with TPO no spike should be used on any timber which is being left, seen tree trimmed by utility cutters with spike makes all off them and tree trimmed by contractors for neighbours of one of my customers how owned tree was spiked all the way to the top when there was plenty of limbs to stand on but could not be bothered.   

• Like 1

Got called to do an emergency job a couple of years ago.  An Oak tree that a company had turned up to do.  Its top had split out.  They had climbed up to the top and come down again, telling the customer that it wasn't possible.

When I climbed up it the trunk was spiked all the way to about 10ft below where the break was, they didn't even get to the top.  There were a stack of branches all the way up the tree to climb up to, it was ridiculous.

Very much doubt it could kill a tree but obviously can open up the possibility of infections

• Like 1

I must admit I once put mine on for a horrible crack willow job in the middle of a woodland.  Thats the only time though.  Hard to believe someone would put them on for a thin barked tree such as a lime, which are generally pretty easy to climb up anyway

• Like 2