makita 7900

woodwizzard

Anyone else with one of these have a problem with getting the chain oil cap off? I have cracked two caps now. They seem to tighten in use or expand and then crack when I go to loosen them. I have tried a little grease on the seal, not that it should be needed with chain oil around it, and even if I don't fully tighten it, if used and then left, the next time I try it it can be a bugger to get off.

Any other style of cap from a different make or model fit?

Same thing happens with 346xp. Don’t know why. 7900 is a great saw except this and the chain brake!
What happens with brake? Have been impressed with saw so far. Expected it to be heavier. Seems like a 44 but with more grunt. Got it with a 36" bar which is unbalanced and I thought it'll never pull this, but seems to cut fine. Will be sticking a 24 on though.

What happens with brake? Have been impressed with saw so far. Expected it to be heavier. Seems like a 44 but with more grunt. Got it with a 36" bar which is unbalanced and I thought it'll never pull this, but seems to cut fine. Will be sticking a 24 on though.

Great hardwood saw with lots of torque. I usually run mine on 20” or 24”, I’m impressed it can pull 36”!
I’ve gone through 3 brake bands and a brake linkage within the last year. I think the spring is too strong so puts a lot of force through when activated.