Northern Branch Seminar - Planting, Establishment & Maintenance of Trees in the Urban Environment

Gary Prentice

I went to this seminar last week with a feeling that I wouldn't actually gain much in the way of new knowledge, but having, previously, been vocal in my criticism of the absence of AA events 'up North' felt an obligation of sorts to go. And besides, it was cheap, close and Dalgea O'Callahan was speaking - which normally leads to some lively debate.

I was late so missed the name of the first speaker, Keith (I think) somebody from GreenBlue Urban. Now normally a rep from a company comes across to me as there to run a sales pitch. Keith wasn't and his earthy enthusiasm for planting and arboriculture was soon apparent, setting the tone for the day. 

Keith Sacre was an interesting speaker, whose subjects roamed from bioprotection, TDAG, the business plan of British Standards and the environmental protection sections that had originally been included in BS8545 and were removed due to the threat of European Courts! His inside knowledge of the nursery trade was enlightening, the lead times that they work to, species selection (what we are going to want in 5-7 yrs time) and the risks that nurseries face of immediate closure should certain pathogens be found. And again his enthusiasm and commitment shone through. I'd have been content if Keith had been the only speaker for the day. 

After lunch, Glynn Percival took centre stage. Anyone who has heard him before appreciates his manner, his interest and enthusiasm.   He did say that the powerpoint would be available later, but I struggled to make notes of the topics and information that came forth. He knows his stuff (so much stuff!) and maybe forgets that the audience are in a different stratosphere entirely. Just attempting to encapsulate the topics covered is near impossible.  Two days later, writing this, things are still coming to mind that I now want to look into and research, to understand more.

I don't know if this is an indication of a good seminar or not, when you come away with more questions than answers! I did find that the following day I was using the new found information in a discussion with client, even though I felt that I didn't have enough information or knowledge in my mind to be able to explain all the intricacies of the subject. That is no criticism, that's down to me. 

So I'd like to thank the organizers for an interesting day and encourage others to support the branch events, even if they are on a subject that you think isn't of any particular relevance or interest, you never know unless you go.

It's a shame that some of these events aren't recorded or that technology isn't utilised to make them available to a wider audience.

Glynn spoke about why particular single tree species of woodchip mulch seem to be beneficial to establishment and tree health. Hawthorn and cherry have high sugar content that attract mycorrhiza, willow because of the salicin and mentioned eucalyptus against Armillaria. 

Sorry, snippets of conversation keep coming back to me of things that seem relevant and requiring some reading. 

Sadly a bit poor. I signed in late and there looked to be quite a few no-shows - I'd guess about 20-25 delegates were there in all.

I found it a bit strange, in light of some of the recent criticism of the AA about the dearth of more northern events. I don't know whether it was the topic or what, for what appeared low numbers.

The speakers are well known in the industry and the cost was very low, I think it was £30 +Vat for non-members. The demographic of the audience seemed to be more local authority/consultants than contactors or even students. I think that it's sad that some events don't get the support, which then discourages the Branches hosting more.

1 minute ago, Gary Prentice said:

Sadly a bit poor. I signed in late and there looked to be quite a few no-shows - I'd guess about 20-25 delegates were there in all.

I found it a bit strange, in light of some of the recent criticism of the AA about the dearth of more northern events. I don't know whether it was the topic or what, for what appeared low numbers.

The speakers are well known in the industry and the cost was very low, I think it was £30 +Vat for non-members. The demographic of the audience seemed to be more local authority/consultants than contactors or even students. I think that it's sad that some events don't get the support, which then discourages the Branches hosting more.

reminds me of a few years back after numerous complaints about there never being any events up North, Gustharts set up a show...and yep you guessed it, numbers were pretty poor.  There were even some people complaining it was too far south :)  One guy did travel down from Inverness though to be fair

I would have normally attended but it clashed with a CAVAT workshop at Croxteth and to be honest in the past 2/3 years I have seen the same presentations and/or speakers elsewhere.

Dealgha and Keith are always worth a listen...

32 minutes ago, Anno said:

I would have normally attended but it clashed with a CAVAT workshop at Croxteth and to be honest in the past 2/3 years I have seen the same presentations and/or speakers elsewhere.

Dealgha and Keith are always worth a listen...

You're excused :D

Who run that? I never saw that advertised.

Edited by Gary Prentice

56 minutes ago, Steve Bullman said:

reminds me of a few years back after numerous complaints about there never being any events up North, Gustharts set up a show...and yep you guessed it, numbers were pretty poor.  There were even some people complaining it was too far south :)  One guy did travel down from Inverness though to be fair

Personally I think shows are a bit different and don't attend them anymore. If I was still climbing/buying gear or we were in the market for a larger bit of plant, I'd probably go to something, but they become pretty much of a muchness and more of a social event. They seemed to be years ago a place for some cheap kit, but I imagine the cost of the exhibiting and internet competition/sale has put paid to that.

Educational events can be pretty expensive, I know what I've spent and the miles that I've travelled over the last few years - it adds up. But the branch events (2 days in Sterling last September and this one) have been really good value, compared to the more national events like the AA Conference or those involving international speakers (Clause Mattheck). It would be nice to see a bit more support.

2 hours ago, Gary Prentice said:

You're excused :D

Who run that? I never saw that advertised.

Run via NATO and presented by head honcho Chris Neilan, it was very good and made better sense than Helliwell imho.