L200 4wd issue?

Con

Ok everyone. 

Thanks for all the advice. I've got to admit, until now, l didn't really understand how it all worked. I've been speaking with a mechanic friend.

His advice is run them locked. The only disadvantage is a slight increase in fuel consumption as you are turning the front half shafts as well as the wheel. The advantage is they are lubed and less likely to have problems. Anyone disagree with this? I'd be interested to know as there does seem to be a bit of differences of opinion. Thanks

59 minutes ago, Con said:

Ok everyone. 

Thanks for all the advice. I've got to admit, until now, l didn't really understand how it all worked. I've been speaking with a mechanic friend.

His advice is run them locked. The only disadvantage is a slight increase in fuel consumption as you are turning the front half shafts as well as the wheel. The advantage is they are lubed and less likely to have problems. Anyone disagree with this? I'd be interested to know as there does seem to be a bit of differences of opinion. Thanks

IMO its fine,as you say its only the half shafts tuning but not driving the front wheels .

I have heard this can wreck the front axle but cannot verify this! Had many manual hubs on hiluxs and never had any bother from in locking and locking the hubs before.

Probably some excellent advice over on a Mitsubishi or l200 forum. I would ask the question there as you will get vehicle specific advice http://www.l200forum.com

• Like 1

Hi THE l200 has a simple 4wd system

hi 2wd

hi 4wd

low 4wd

it also has a button on the dash that operates the diff lock on the rear axle . (only for use in extreme conditions when stuck )

The advantage with the manual front hubs are that you can select 4wd low with the hubs unlocked for shunting trailers or chipper ect on hard surfaces withot damaging the transmission ( transmission windup ) .

hope this helps cheers chris

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, woody woodpecker said:

Hi THE l200 has a simple 4wd system

hi 2wd

hi 4wd

low 4wd

it also has a button on the dash that operates the diff lock on the rear axle . (only for use in extreme conditions when stuck )

The advantage with the manual front hubs are that you can select 4wd low with the hubs unlocked for shunting trailers or chipper ect on hard surfaces withot damaging the transmission ( transmission windup ) .

hope this helps cheers chris

Thanks Chris.

I'm getting to grips with it now. I like that last tip for shunting?. When i first got the truck l was scared to lock the freewheel hubs because l thought that would lock the diff! So I'm learning

• 2 weeks later...

Must admit there is some new advice i've definately never heard before, must admit i'm not sure its all correct thou.

The light on ur dash for 4wd drive won't indicate if hubs are in or not only if lever is in

I've also never seen or had an l200 with a diff lock button

Been a long time since i've had free wheeling hubs but we just left them free wheeling all the time until needed in 4wd and never had any bother,  But i would folow the advice of ur mechanic

Never really see them now

Why would u use 4wd low with the hubs not in??

Is it just for the lower gear but still in reality being in 2wd??

Never had to do that either when reversing trailers

U don't need to go to a muddy field, any bit of loose gravel or steepish hill, stop and spin ur rear wheels first to get feel then try the same when u are in 4wd with hubs locked and see if u can feel the difference or get someone to watch

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, drinksloe said:

Must admit there is some new advice i've definately never heard before, must admit i'm not sure its all correct thou.

The light on ur dash for 4wd drive won't indicate if hubs are in or not only if lever is in

I've also never seen or had an l200 with a diff lock button

Been a long time since i've had free wheeling hubs but we just left them free wheeling all the time until needed in 4wd and never had any bother,  But i would folow the advice of ur mechanic

Never really see them now

Why would u use 4wd low with the hubs not in??

Is it just for the lower gear but still in reality being in 2wd??

Never had to do that either when reversing trailers

U don't need to go to a muddy field, any bit of loose gravel or steepish hill, stop and spin ur rear wheels first to get feel then try the same when u are in 4wd with hubs locked and see if u can feel the difference or get someone to watch

You would use the 4wd with the hubs unlocked (so essentially it gives you the '2L' option) if you were shunting a heavy trailer on tarmac or any high traction surface so as to potentially avoid transmission wind up or damage.  I for one use that option quite alot.

• Like 3

Cheers wick, must admit i've never ever heard of that before, but every day is a school day.

Never really have to shunt that many heavy trailers about well never really struggled that much anyway

Surely there can't be that many vehicles with manual locking hubs nowadays.

15 minutes ago, drinksloe said:

Cheers wick, must admit i've never ever heard of that before, but every day is a school day.

Never really have to shunt that many heavy trailers about well never really struggled that much anyway

Surely there can't be that many vehicles with manual locking hubs nowadays.

yew can retrofit them to some vehicles,  I had auto hubs on mine but i prefer manual hubs.  On some pickups like the older Ford Ranger you can mod the wiring and fit an isolation switch to  temporarily take the front axle out of the equation when you select 4L, thus giving you the '2L' option.    The way i look at it is this,   i would prefer to give the gearbox and clutch an easy time of it when it comes to pulling away on a steep hill or moving a heavy trailer around,  I could leave it in 2H and gun the beans out of it and slip the clutch if the need arises but i choose to take the mechanical stress out of it by using '2L' where required. Me Isuzu pickup is 18 years  old, done 130k (miles) and is stihl on the original clutch it left the factory with back in 2000.

• Like 1