L200 4wd issue?

Con

10 minutes ago, monkeybusiness said:

Check your free wheel hubs are locking. Lock them whilst in 2wd and get underneath - you shouldn’t be able to turn the front prop shaft by hand if they are both locking correctly. 

Thanks. Is there usually a symbol on the dash to indivate the lovk? Bearing in mind it's a v reg 2000

4 hours ago, Con said:

Thanks. Is there usually a symbol on the dash to indivate the lovk? Bearing in mind it's a v reg 2000

I would imagine there will be a light on the dash to indicate you have shifted in 4x4.  My old dog errr Isuzu has a similar setup.

1 hour ago, woodwizzard said:

Never had an l200, how do you put them in 4wd? Is it old school levers or do you push a button for 4wd and then have a lever for high and low box? If the latter, chances are it is vacuum operated and you may have a split vacuum hose in the system.

He is saying its the type were you have to turn the hubs on each wheel .

2 hours ago, woodwizzard said:

Never had an l200, how do you put them in 4wd? Is it old school levers or do you push a button for 4wd and then have a lever for high and low box? If the latter, chances are it is vacuum operated and you may have a split vacuum hose in the system.

Hi. Yes. Old school. Lever with 3 settings. 2h, 4h & 4l. Then you have to lock the hubs manually. When i wasn't sure whether it was working i was empty. Would that make the back wheels spin more in 4wd mode? When loaded it wasn't as bad

4 hours ago, Con said:

Hi. Yes. Old school. Lever with 3 settings. 2h, 4h & 4l. Then you have to lock the hubs manually. When i wasn't sure whether it was working i was empty. Would that make the back wheels spin more in 4wd mode? When loaded it wasn't as bad

If the hubs are both locked and in 4wd then one back wheel and one front wheel have to slip together. Sticking it in low 4wd with front hubs free wheeling was a sure way to break rear half shafts on series land rovers.

Leaving hubs free wheeling without use for weeks was also a surefire way of destroying UJs and inadvertent engagement of 4wd in high could be spectacular.

The drawbacks in freewheeling hubs outway the benefits IMO so my vitara stays with them engaged.

15 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

If the hubs are both locked and in 4wd then one back wheel and one front wheel have to slip together. Sticking it in low 4wd with front hubs free wheeling was a sure way to break rear half shafts on series land rovers.

Leaving hubs free wheeling without use for weeks was also a surefire way of destroying UJs and inadvertent engagement of 4wd in high could be spectacular.

The drawbacks in freewheeling hubs outway the benefits IMO so my vitara stays with them engaged.

Thanks. I've been advised before to periodically engage 4wd. I'm getting someone to check it out, and after that l will take your advice and leave it in 4wd permanently.  I don't do a gteat deal of miles so mpg etc isn't teally an issue

2 hours ago, Con said:

Thanks. I've been advised before to periodically engage 4wd. I'm getting someone to check it out, and after that l will take your advice and leave it in 4wd permanently.  I don't do a gteat deal of miles so mpg etc isn't teally an issue

Don't leave it in 4wd on the road unless you want to be picking up bits.

• Like 1