Tree surgeon fined over car smash near Truro primary school

kevinjohnsonmbe

46 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

As it turned out, not career ending. 

Certainly career “limiting” though!

The “chatter” on local FB forums has been surprisingly quiet but the incident, not the prosecution so far as I’m aware, did make regional TV - and we all know that reputation takes years to build and seconds to damage. 

Its only by ‘chance’ rather than design that the implications were relatively limited in effect. There was no ‘system’ to avoid the possibility of a mother & pushchair being where that car was... and without wishing to over dramatise, the potential was there and it was ‘luck’ that limited the potential effect. 

Career limiting....certainty,  Most commercial contracts ask the questions: Any HSE prosecutors in preceding 5 yrs, any HSE prosecutions pending, how many days lost to RIDDORS in past 5 yrs?

Ginna be tricky if faced with that any time soon and it still leaves the issue of how close it “could” have been to something life changing from happening. 

There were here a lot of inappropriate circumstances associated with this incident, I suspect not all were revealed to HSE!

The article stated that he had lads watching for people, parked cars are often very difficult to get shifted.

In 20+ years of trading I've never had any body or any organisation ask about HSE prosecution or RIDDORS and I've worked for CC, BC, utility Co's, etc.

I would expect his insurance to be a bit of an issue, but I think there are ways round that :sneaky2:

13 hours ago, Steve Bullman said:

The guy made a mistake simple as.  I doubt most people are up in arms about it as much as the arb community seems to be.

amen to that.   I feel sorry for the guy, we all make bad decisions and mistakes.  I think he's an Arbtalker. 

21 hours ago, Steve Bullman said:

The guy made a mistake simple as.  I doubt most people are up in arms about it as much as the arb community seems to be.

A man who never makes a mistake never does anything.  We all do.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Graham said:

A man who never makes a mistake never does anything.  We all do.

There is some merit in what you say Graham, but in this example I'd have to disagree I'm afraid - it would be akin to the test pilot on a new passenger aircraft making the first prototype flight with a full passenger manifest....

The time and the place for allowing the uncertified novice to attempt a challenging procedure is when and where the consequences of error are minimised (this should be anticipated and mitigated by the supervising staff and recognised as a learning opportunity (warts and all) for the inexperienced practitioner.) Of course it is an invaluable step on the ladder of experience , but surely it will be recognised that it is not something that should be undertaken in a high risk, target rich environment.

People need to be confronted with challenge and opportunity in order to develop new skills, the place for a first attempt at putting a large stick over is in an open field, not in a confined space where innocent 3rd parties may be exposed to the consequence of failure.

There have been some fantastic, humble, self critical threads on here in the past where folks have laid open the circumstances surrounding a personal error such that others may learn from, and gain a broader understanding of, the potential implications of a defined set of circumstances.  Self critique and the open, honest discussion of industry issues is an invaluable resource in accident avoidance.     

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

Yep, bet the new guy was dead grateful.

Been meaning to test the brakes on the pick-up, you know, just to see what they are like...

Coincidentally, I've got a motorway trip today so thought I'd do it in the 3rd lane at 110mph rather than on a quiet trading estate on a Sunday morning....

Nothing ventured an all that.....  

• Haha 1