Tree surgeon fined over car smash near Truro primary school

kevinjohnsonmbe

Looks like he was pulling from an angle off to the side, rather than from directly in front. This works fine so long as you have sufficient pull and a good thick hinge. There looked to be virtually no hinge.

The fine was pretty low, he cocked up, but I doubt its career ending. Pretty sure he'll not make that mistake again. I guess you could argue that the system works.

As it turned out, not career ending. 

Certainly career “limiting” though!

The “chatter” on local FB forums has been surprisingly quiet but the incident, not the prosecution so far as I’m aware, did make regional TV - and we all know that reputation takes years to build and seconds to damage. 

Its only by ‘chance’ rather than design that the implications were relatively limited in effect. There was no ‘system’ to avoid the possibility of a mother & pushchair being where that car was... and without wishing to over dramatise, the potential was there and it was ‘luck’ that limited the potential effect. 

Career limiting....certainty,  Most commercial contracts ask the questions: Any HSE prosecutors in preceding 5 yrs, any HSE prosecutions pending, how many days lost to RIDDORS in past 5 yrs?

Ginna be tricky if faced with that any time soon and it still leaves the issue of how close it “could” have been to something life changing from happening. 

There were here a lot of inappropriate circumstances associated with this incident, I suspect not all were revealed to HSE!

12 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

The “chatter” on local FB forums has been surprisingly quiet but the incident, not the prosecution so far as I’m aware, did make regional TV - and we all know that reputation takes years to build and seconds to damage. 

The guy made a mistake simple as.  I doubt most people are up in arms about it as much as the arb community seems to be.

• Like 4