Kubota kx 016 / 018 or Takeuchi tb 216

grahamc

Just asking opinions from anyone who has experience on the above mini diggers. Which one would you prefer to own, based on reliability, quality of build and running costs / residual. There doesn't seem to be much in it on paper, but was wondering which would be your choice. Any feedback appreciated.

Ok- I feel I’m fairly well qualified to answer this question.

iv just ordered a new Takeuchi TB216 with a cab.

i went to look at a Kubota kx018 as a comparison. It doesn’t touch the Takeuchi in my opinion. I really wanted to buy the Kubota because I have had Taks for 8 years and felt like a change. But I was disappointed, the Kubota which had 600hrs on it felt jumpy to operate, the bucket won’t contact the blade unless you offset the boom (which is a faff in the flow of things). The cab was nice, probably the best thing about it. 

The Tak has a much bigger blade and stronger design. Also the blade will go down much further than the Kubota which means you can level yourself on very steep ground.

Kubota was £800 more than the tak and I felt it didn’t have anywhere near the build quality- felt plasticky.

Resale wise- I doubt there is much in it- they are the two top brands in this size category so you won’t loose out with either. Don’t get me wrong, Kubota make some top machines but between these two models i’l take Tak any day.

the older Taks had a bit of a bad (or good) name for being incredibly basic and very much the self hire choice, but they have completely revamped their lastest machines and their cabs are nice places to be now.

hope that helps.

Thanks for the reply Matthew. Not looking to get a new machine, but secondhand all seems overpriced. Been quoted £ 16 200 for kx 18 with canopy, whites manual quick hitch and 3 buckets. Not had a reply from cbl re Takeuchi equivalent. We have a kx 16 on hire at the moment, but not convinced with it, and hear nothing but good about the Takeuchi. 

Where abouts are you in the country?

iv got mine from CBL and found them very good to deal with in the past- another reason why I went for Tak as our local Kubota dealer doesn’t have a great name.

The other machine I was very keen on was the Yanmar sv18. Lovely machine but because it was nearly 2 ton I felt it was gettin too close to the 2.8tonner I already have.

I think my top 3 sub 2 tonners would be Takeuchi, Yanmar and Volvo- Fraid the Kubota doesn’t get a look in at this size for me but people become loyal to brands so everyone will say something different!