Simarghu Harness Review

GeeSaw

9 hours ago, jrose said:

If I understand right Steve, there are three holes you can fit the bridge to which adjusts how your body weight sits in the harness, so in the pic the bridge is through the middle hole and the one you show would be the top.

From watching the promo video, you can also run dual bridges? I could be completely off though!

Yep that's right, top one sits you up more, bottom one back. The idea being with adjusting the floating bridge and leg raiser at the front you should get your preferred balance point/ weight distribution.

Yes you can run two bridges, which is good for multiple tie in points and has other advantages

Hi Craig,

Thank you for replying to my feedback on the harness

Floating Bridge

Sorry about the explanation, yes the harness remains with the body & the floating bridge moves,

but because of this extra twist, your body has turned that much more so accessing attachment

points can be trickier in certain positions. Not a con but something I've found happens on occasion.

3 Bridge Attachment Positions.

A good concept for some people, but not something I found particularly useful as the original

bridge set up worked for me.

Personally if I required another line I'd be inclined to add another attachment ring to my main bridge

so I'd retain the same work position & everything is in one place.

Using another bridge rope would not only adjust my work position but having two or three bridges

attached would make things confusing and it's just something else to get snagged n caught when

manoeuvring throughout the tree.

Side 'D's'

lol, yes, feel you are probably biased since you're part of the development team & use the lower D's.

Or are you using the lower D's because of the issues with the side D's? ;)

This is a big bug bear for me So, I'm inclined to disagree, having two side D's does not outweigh the negatives,

At the end of the day if something doesn't work or doesn't work well it needs to be addressed or what's the

point of having it!? Is there not a way of making side D's more ridged or at least one of them so you don't get

this issue of folding in?

Leg Loops

As I've said it's great you're not using elastic & thank you for your insight behind doing so.

However personally I've found the leg loops do not quite sit right & feels like they need to

be twisted around ever so slightly for a more natural fit.

Leg Loop Retaining Straps

I am glad this problem has been addressed & remedied as this is a real safety issue.

I'm presuming anyone who has the old system is entitled to a free upgrade? ;)

First Aid Strap

Sorry about that, didn't realise it was just to cover the buckle for the Chester attachment. 

Please feel free to mod the buckle/strap idea!

I'm all for keeping things in house using UK manufacturers, and realise as a downside the

overheads are greater,

Although are you not worried about pricing yourself out of a competitive market considering

the cost of other harness on offer?

I do think this could be a great harness if certain issues are addressed &

wish you all the luck in the future.

Climb safe!

• Like 1

On 24/04/2018 at 15:01, GeeSaw said:

I am glad this problem has been addressed & remedied as this is a real safety issue.

This is my biggest issue with my simarghu. Mine isnt used daily and i take care of it but within the first 2 months the velcro tore off. Now before every climb I'm retreating it through and even then it still pulls out. Descending today it pulled through the buckle. I would think that if there has been a revision for safety surely old versions should be exchanged. 

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a bit longer than planned, but here's my thoughts on the Simarghu harness so far...

Bridge is too long as standard, I've added another ring as I usually use my lanyard on the bridge as well and shortened it. The idea of the three bridge positions is brilliant, I've moved it to the top as the middle hole was putting too much weight on my legs.

Not had an issue myself yet with the leg loops moving, will keep an eye on this. The leg pads feel slightly odd at the moment, but it's probably just because they're different from what I'm used to. 

Not quite sure where the saw attachment is meant to be, as the little ring looks rather lightweight especially if hanging a bigger saw off it? Will probably end up using the rear ring. It's probably personal preference, but I really like the design of my old Skylotec with gear loops at both the top and bottom of the harness, or at least the option to add some in.

All in all I'm pretty pleased with it, waiting for a decent size takedown to try it on the side Ds for an extended period and to use it with a bigger saw so will report back then. I would have one all day long over a tree motion!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jrose said:

It's been a bit longer than planned, but here's my thoughts on the Simarghu harness so far...

Bridge is too long as standard, I've added another ring as I usually use my lanyard on the bridge as well and shortened it. The idea of the three bridge positions is brilliant, I've moved it to the top as the middle hole was putting too much weight on my legs.

Not had an issue myself yet with the leg loops moving, will keep an eye on this. The leg pads feel slightly odd at the moment, but it's probably just because they're different from what I'm used to. 

Not quite sure where the saw attachment is meant to be, as the little ring looks rather lightweight especially if hanging a bigger saw off it? Will probably end up using the rear ring. It's probably personal preference, but I really like the design of my old Skylotec with gear loops at both the top and bottom of the harness, or at least the option to add some in.

All in all I'm pretty pleased with it, waiting for a decent size takedown to try it on the side Ds for an extended period and to use it with a bigger saw so will report back then. I would have one all day long over a tree motion!

Thanks for sharing.

Most harnesses come with far too long of a bridge.  I always end up shortening them, this alters the centre of balance considerable and reduces the chance of the leg loops being pulled up into the crotch.

If this was mine I would choose to hang the saw similarly to how I hang it on the treemotion, but with a caritool mounted behind the side d-ring to high clip it.  I have found hanging it at this point gives better reach when wanting to cut the opposite side to where its mounted.

Screen Shot 2018-05-13 at 13.02.08.png

The Bridge is extra long so you can tie a shortening knot without untying the manufactured knot, therefore not modifying the harness, just adjusting.

The ring in the middle of the back  is strong enough for any saw. the small rings are rated to 5kg and 10kg on the loops, there is a slot for a tool clip behind the side rings.

the lower bridge attachment point is just that and has not been designed or tested as anything else, hope that helps

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/04/2018 at 15:01, GeeSaw said:

Craig,

It's been over a month & still no reply regarding this issue.

Since this is a safety concern one would think this problem should be dealt with quickly

and I'm sure anyone who has this harness would appreciate a response.

• 5 years later...

Hello, I am quite new to climbing and got one of these to practise with while I do training. It was one of the cheaper options as it is on clearance, and in the shop preferred it to the TreeMotion. I have used Skylotec, Petzl Sequioa, and Treehog harnesses before. Got it in Aug last year so 7 months old.

I noticed quite soon - within a month, there was slight fraying on the main webbing attachment. Around November I gave it closer inspection and found there are two edges/burrs on the main connection that I would suggest should have been polished smooth during manufacture. I have viewed these harnesses in shops and all of them on the shelf have the same flaw.

IMG_20240320_171543.thumb.jpg.31824c54f80aeac7a6fe38558a37559f.jpg

IMG_20240320_171336.thumb.jpg.1958f7b85785dad1a63100d3a2ac1cd6.jpg

Now the fraying has started to become excessive and I may need to return it. As they dont have any more, I was hoping to avoid that.

Anyway with this in mind, I bought another one of these harnesses on clearance from a different shop (original out of stock). I plan to polish the burrs smooth before first use, which will void any warranty on the new one,  but should then give a reasonable life.

Has anyone else noticed fraying?

Anyway to add to the review its a good harness, I have a few dislikes - how thin and small the engagement of the buckles, and also how thin the bridge rope attachement points are. However I guess thats personal preference that they look weak.. it must have passed testing.

For comparison this is a photo of the new one. You can see the burrs catch the light.

IMG_20240321_132531.thumb.jpg.48ef8924ecc2b2f1385ad6b0abbe7a46.jpg

Edited by kram
correction