Potato boxes.

woodacre

We use them and they work well, they get a few more breakages than ibcs but they're bigger, safer to stack (I've seen 10 high before)  and easy to repair. 

You will need a fairly strong box rotator and loader if you want to flip them. We collected from spudbox for £69+vat with a double floor to avoid the bigger logs damaging it.

DSC_3114.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, woodacre said:

Hi.

Just wondered what peoples thoughts are with using potato boxes for drying out logs? Keep debating it as they're around £70.00+new. Your feedback would be much appreciated. Cheers emoji848.png

We used them when I worked on a farm, were good and handy with a box tipper, just make sure you buy the heavier duty boxes, they used to be HK boxes 15years ago, the corner posts were bolted meaning the box held together, the cheaper ones used to lean when stacked and sides regularly fell off. Normally only meant to be stacked 8boxes high, well with a ton of spuds anyhow?

• Like 1

We use them and they work well, they get a few more breakages than ibcs but they're bigger, safer to stack (I've seen 10 high before)  and easy to repair. 

You will need a fairly strong box rotator and loader if you want to flip them. We collected from spudbox for £69+vat with a double floor to avoid the bigger logs damaging it.
DSC_3114.thumb.JPG.c0680cf602b57f37ec2e34449b3663db.JPG
Cheers. So how long would you leave them outside to dry before putting them in the shed? Do you off load them straight into you truck,trailer etc when ready to deliver? My idea is to keep them out for 6 months or so and then tip in shed when semi seasoned or is this just added unnecessary added work? The problem ive got is wood that molds when left in shed for 12months. Thanks

1 hour ago, woodacre said:
13 hours ago, gdh said:

DSC_3114.thumb.JPG.c0680cf602b57f37ec2e34449b3663db.JPG

Read more  

Cheers. So how long would you leave them outside to dry before putting them in the shed? Do you off load them straight into you truck,trailer etc when ready to deliver? My idea is to keep them out for 6 months or so and then tip in shed when semi seasoned or is this just added unnecessary added work? The problem ive got is wood that molds when left in shed for 12months. Thanks

Ah sorry, should have mentioned we've got a heated drying shed, similar to a kiln (not in the picture). We cut straight into the boxes, dry them, then tip into the pickup when we need them. 

• Like 1

why not make your own storage boxes ?   ...simple enough and you could make them to your own specifications ..
Hi. I have thought about it but i spend to much time on logs as it is.
Just trying to reduce the work load but still not sure if potato boxes are the best solution. If you have any better ideas im keen to here it minus the ibc container. Cheers

7 hours ago, woodacre said:

Hi. I have thought about it but i spend to much time on logs as it is.
Just trying to reduce the work load but still not sure if potato boxes are the best solution. If you have any better ideas im keen to here it minus the ibc container. Cheers

Posch Packfix or similar, multiple manufacturers do similar now.

After the initial cost of the machine, you've pallets and net too buy. 

Maximises air flow.