Apprentices

scale90

Do not rely on them as a member of staff, they wont be around long what with going to collage, sick and Holidays. Also until say 3 months in depending of the ability of the person there going to be pretty useless form day one. 

1 hour ago, Ian C said:

Do not rely on them as a member of staff, they wont be around long what with going to collage, sick and Holidays. Also until say 3 months in depending of the ability of the person there going to be pretty useless form day one. 

Not always the case Ian my son did an apprenticeship and was totally reliable and hard working from day one and never missed a day he shouldn,t have and also my friend has apprentices in his business which is arb related and the two he has had have been great and one is now full time for him and very reliable so we shouldn,t class them all as "useless from day one" as they are not all the same

• Like 1

I didn’t say they were all the same but you have to assume that, also they still have collage and holidays to fit in, I had one who was shite plus was hardly there due to collage and holidays, like I say you cannot use them as full time staff as there not until finished.

22 hours ago, gary112 said:

perhaps we shouldn,t assume they are all the same then, we need to be giving these youngsters a chance and try to give em a trade,give it another go and perhaps you wont get a "shite" one this time 

Oh ffs I just said there not all the same! the fact is the OP is asking what its like from an employer point of view, as I have said as a one/two man band you cant relay on them as a member of staff as there away a fair amount of time, its like having a Part timer, the bigger the firm the easier it is with out them obviously, when I hade one we I was small, now I could manage without them, I'm considering taking on a new one, finding a good one that's worth investing in that's not going to drop you the minute they finish and set up against you is the tricky bit.