Looking for a decent cordless chainsaw

Matthew Storrs

x1 5ah generic battery lasts me 4-6 hours with the 18V makita hedge trimmer.

That sounds good I assumed one battery would last about 40 minutes.

So with 2 batterries you could have the pleasure of cutting lelandyi all day bare tool is £50

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Makita-DUH523Z-18V-Cordless-Hedge-Trimmer-LXT-Body-Only/151812535321?epid=1905115863&hash=item2358bb7419:g:JPIAAOSw-wJaAxum

7 hours ago, Stere said:

That sounds good I assumed one battery would last about 40 minutes.

So with 2 batterries you could have the pleasure of cutting lelandyi all day bare tool is £50

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Makita-DUH523Z-18V-Cordless-Hedge-Trimmer-LXT-Body-Only/151812535321?epid=1905115863&hash=item2358bb7419:g:JPIAAOSw-wJaAxum

Yep! Roughly. 

That tool is only for delicate trimming though. Wont go through anything thick easy but it's a damn rolls royce of trimmers for a specific job. Practically silent, light as hell and as I say cable tie the safety thingymeo and can operate one handed at arms reach with zero fuss. Bloody love it. 

Ryobi are a lot better than they used to be. Not as good as makita. My friend runs a old style hardware shop and he sells ryobi. He has one of a lot of the tools. Over the last two years I have been helping him one or two days a week with a barn conversion. I've had my makita stuff out and him his ryobi. Makita wins on impact power drilling speed etc. But ryobi passes. He has 3 ryobi battery chainsaws and the key is putting a really big battery in them, then they cut well and reasonably silently. Slower than petrol but inside they are ace and outside for little bits they are easy.

Hi Matthew, it’s Carmen from STIHL here. I see you're considering a number of brands, but for info, we do have cordless chainsaws available.as part of our PRO Cordless System - this also has over 25 other tools in the range (brushcutters, hedge trimmers, pole pruners etc), which the batteries can be swapped between, and we are developing new cordless tools all the time so there will be more tools available that use the same battery in the future. In the PRO cordless range, we have the MSA 160, the MSA 200 and a top-handled MSA 160 T (all details here: https://www.stihl.co.uk/STIHL-Products/STIHL-Cordless-Power-Systems/PRO-Cordless-Power-System-for-large-gardens-and-professionals/030634/Cordless-Li-Ion-chainsaws.aspx).  The PRO cordless saws can also be used with a backpack battery so if, further down the line, you decide you do want to use it for longer periods of time, you have the option for a longer run time.

If you’re in the area, we will be at the Arb Show at Westonbirt Arboretum on 11th and 12th May and will have some cordless saws being demonstrated there so you can come along and see them in action if you want to see how they measure up?

Let me know if you need any other info. Thanks!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, STIHL GB said:

Hi Matthew, it’s Carmen from STIHL here. I see you're considering a number of brands, but for info, we do have cordless chainsaws available.as part of our PRO Cordless System - this also has over 25 other tools in the range (brushcutters, hedge trimmers, pole pruners etc), which the batteries can be swapped between, and we are developing new cordless tools all the time so there will be more tools available that use the same battery in the future. In the PRO cordless range, we have the MSA 160, the MSA 200 and a top-handled MSA 160 T (all details here: https://www.stihl.co.uk/STIHL-Products/STIHL-Cordless-Power-Systems/PRO-Cordless-Power-System-for-large-gardens-and-professionals/030634/Cordless-Li-Ion-chainsaws.aspx).  The PRO cordless saws can also be used with a backpack battery so if, further down the line, you decide you do want to use it for longer periods of time, you have the option for a longer run time.

If you’re in the area, we will be at the Arb Show at Westonbirt Arboretum on 11th and 12th May and will have some cordless saws being demonstrated there so you can come along and see them in action if you want to see how they measure up?

Let me know if you need any other info. Thanks!

Thanks and that’s great to hear. I have bought a Makita simply so I can share batteries with drills etc and it’s only going to be for landscaping type chainsaw works, this is my first venture into the world of electric chainsaws and I can quite see if I like them I will try and replace my petrol saw too- sounds like Stihl are being very innovative with the battery backpacks etc so will certainly keep an eye on your product range.

If your asking me you should get a stilh or Husky battery chainsaw...  

I wouldn't stress to much about evolving battery power, from what I've learned online by experts battery power is at its limits. not only is there no breakthroughs happening in regards battery power, there's no chance of any in the future..

You might as well look at the battery size as much as the specs.. bigger battery longer lasting.. simple as that..   smaller the battery lighter the equipment..

I'll be getting a stilh battery saw this season, already got a strimmer..  not too impressed with the strimmer to be honest but I imagine a chainsaw might be of more use..