Looking for a decent cordless chainsaw

Matthew Storrs

23 minutes ago, Matthew Storrs said:

Yes I agree- I think in practise I can’t be doing with the faffing around off the coffee machine much as I like the idea! Shame they don’t do a sandwich toaster- wouldn’t say no to one of them at work.

would you say the radio is pretty resistant to water- not pouring rain but could I use it in the mizzle?

I've had one of the Mikita dab radios for a few years. It's been out on damp drizzly days many times. Never had a problem with it. If it rains heavy I just stick a bucket or whatever is handy over it to keep the worst of the weather off it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, eggsarascal said:

I've had one of the Mikita dab radios for a few years. It's been out on damp drizzly days many times. Never had a problem with it. If it rains heavy I just stick a bucket or whatever is handy over it to keep the worst of the weather off it.

First thing that caught my eye when I came round yours 

On 14/04/2018 at 19:40, Matthew Storrs said:

As the title- I fancy a cordless saw. Main uses will be on and off type work- fencing- hedgelaying- general farting about.

i have pro saws for proper work so just want something durable and reasonably capable of the above work, preferably with good battery life.

not necessarily  fussed about traditional chainsaw brands as long as they work well. Any suggestions? 

Thanks

I have a makita 36v battery chainsaw. It's not a pro saw but I use it ALL the time as it's quiet, hassle free, light, can use one handed and due to it's slow chain speed which is not ideal for arborists but it's ultra safe. Have to be a moron to have an accident with it. Batteries last ages. Generic ones work just as well and are much cheaper too. I have multiple makita stuff so have 15 batteries approx and know for a fact the cheap ones are as good are genuine ones. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Makita-DUC302Z-Cordless-Li-Ion-Chainsaw/dp/B00M215BO0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1523823681&sr=8-1&keywords=makita+36v+chainsaw

Edited by forestboy1978
  • Like 1

I have a makita 36v battery chainsaw. It's not a pro saw but I use it ALL the time as it's quiet, hassle free, light, can use one handed and due to it's slow chain speed which is not ideal for arborists but it's ultra safe. Have to be a moron to have an accident with it. Batteries last ages. Generic ones work just as well and are much cheaper too. I have multiple makita stuff so have 15 batteries approx and know for a fact the cheap ones are as good are genuine ones. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Makita-DUC302Z-Cordless-Li-Ion-Chainsaw/dp/B00M215BO0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1523823681&sr=8-1&keywords=makita+36v+chainsaw

Which cheap batteries do you buy for the lxt stuff? I bought a 5amph one off amazon and it lasted less per charge than a proper 3aph? I’d like a couple more if you have a decent generic one you could link for me please?

You must have gotten unlucky. I buy them wherever. Mrbattery on ebay I think. I've never had a problem. All batteries last 2-5 years approx with continuously re charging and dropping them on site etc etc. 

x1 5ah generic battery lasts me 4-6 hours with the 18V makita hedge trimmer. I use that for delicate trimming of leylandi cos it's light and quiete and if  you cable tie the trigger you can use it arms reach whit one hand. FYI another great Makita tool that serves a purpose if used in the correct application. 

On 14/04/2018 at 19:40, Matthew Storrs said:

As the title- I fancy a cordless saw. Main uses will be on and off type work- fencing- hedgelaying- general farting about.

i have pro saws for proper work so just want something durable and reasonably capable of the above work, preferably with good battery life.

not necessarily  fussed about traditional chainsaw brands as long as they work well. Any suggestions? 

Thanks

I’ve moved over to ryobi stuff, it looks like cheap tat but actually is really quite good to work with. I’ve moved my whole set up from dewalt and probably cost about the same price as the dewalt impact driver which last about 12 months for me. Little ryobi chainsaw works grand on 4 or 5ah battery, cost about £50, I chuck it in digger for knocking hawthorn back or tidying strainer tops but it points posts and cuts firewood no problem too. Try one if you can, for the cash and size you’ll be impressed. Grinder, jigsaw, impact driver, circular saw etc all good too but radio is shite for getting a signal and dodgy generic battaries last 2 minutes.

6 minutes ago, LeeGray said:

I’ve moved over to ryobi stuff, it looks like cheap tat but actually is really quite good to work with. I’ve moved my whole set up from dewalt and probably cost about the same price as the dewalt impact driver which last about 12 months for me. Little ryobi chainsaw works grand on 4 or 5ah battery, cost about £50, I chuck it in digger for knocking hawthorn back or tidying strainer tops but it points posts and cuts firewood no problem too. Try one if you can, for the cash and size you’ll be impressed. Grinder, jigsaw, impact driver, circular saw etc all good too but radio is shite for getting a signal and dodgy generic battaries last 2 minutes.

I started my business with Ryobi stuff cos it was all i could afford. Every single tool bar none died within 1 week and 1 year. I'm talking about 10 different tools also. I spit on the ground when I hear Ryobi. 

• Like 1

I started my business with Ryobi stuff cos it was all i could afford. Every single tool bar none died within 1 week and 1 year. I'm talking about 10 different tools also. I spit on the ground when I hear Ryobi. 

I had some ryobi stuff when I first started and had the same problems as you! Ok for diy but wouldn’t risk for work now I like decent tools yes they cost more but they work when you press the button!!

6 hours ago, Richard 1234 said:

I had some ryobi stuff when I first started and had the same problems as you! Ok for diy but wouldn’t risk for work now I like decent tools yes they cost more but they work when you press the button!!

Use mine for work every day, they’ve coped better than the dewalt stuff I’ve had. Plus 2 year warranty so if it did die just take back and get another.