Looking for a decent cordless chainsaw

Matthew Storrs

Went and bought a makita duc254z. Shavey sent it up ( coming with 1/4 sprocket and panther bar)  and battery and charger at a good price. 

Seems to go well. Fair Chins the battery and if your just stood logging with it seems to trigger the battery too hot warning. Which I think wouldnt really happen on a reduction  but might on a small dismantle.  I'll need to buy atleast another 2 5ah batteries I guess ( annoyingly I have about 6 decent Bosch batteries, wish I had chosen makita now.)  To keep things running. 

Here is a quick vid 

Went and bought a makita duc254z. Shavey sent it up ( coming with 1/4 sprocket and panther bar)  and battery and charger at a good price. 

Seems to go well. Fair Chins the battery and if your just stood logging with it seems to trigger the battery too hot warning. Which I think wouldnt really happen on a reduction  but might on a small dismantle.  I'll need to buy atleast another 2 5ah batteries I guess ( annoyingly I have about 6 decent Bosch batteries, wish I had chosen makita now.)  To keep things running. 

Here is a quick vid 

Got one off Stevan from Hexham on demo with the standard bar though , thought it seemed a lot quicker than on the 1/4 pitch in your vid though bill ... definitely quicker than the 160 although battery life is down on the stihl obviously the saw was a lot lighter, I think one of the best features is the saw switches off after a few seconds and is easy to switch back on unlike the stihl160 ,which is live until you put the chain brake on... which I don’t use on any saw really so lots of potential for a nasty situation there.

1 minute ago, MattyF said:

Got one off Stevan from Hexham on demo with the standard bar though , thought it seemed a lot quicker than on the 1/4 pitch in your vid though bill ... definitely quicker than the 160 although battery life is down on the stihl obviously the saw was a lot lighter, I think one of the best features is the saw switches off after a few seconds and is easy to switch back on unlike the stihl160 ,which is live until you put the chain brake on... which I don’t use on any saw really so lots of potential for a nasty situation there.

Tbh matty I was a bit dissapointed when changed the 3/8lp bar to the panther, was expecting nearly twice the cut speed (as have experienced with other saws when going over to the skinny stihl chain) and its definitely smoother but not night and day faster.

Seem to get the battery temp warning quite alot, but have only used it logging in the yard so far. Expect 3 or 4 5ah batteries are probably required. Just wish I already had a load of makita batteries 

2 hours ago, billpierce said:

Here is a quick vid 

I don't know if you`ve done in it in your video, but if you press and hold the power button until the light goes a yellow/amber colour, you get a boost mode, I don't know if it is more chain speed, or more power, or both, but it makes a difference.

Apologies, if you've done/know about it. 

• Like 1

I don't know if you`ve done in it in your video, but if you press and hold the power button until the light goes a yellow/amber colour, you get a boost mode, I don't know if it is more chain speed, or more power, or both, but it makes a difference.
Apologies, if you've done/know about it. 
Aye I did try and show that in the vid, but hard to hold a phone and film and keep both hands on the saw. Certainly does make a big difference more torque less chain speed I think. Look forward to having a climb with it.
20190402_164218.jpeg20190402_164224.jpeg20190402_164230.jpeg

On 24/03/2019 at 20:41, arboriculturist said:

Having watched this video, I would certainly take the gamble.

Haven't watched the video, but I've run nothing but knockoff batteries from 3-9ah for five years now and had no problems so long as you don't buy the cheapest of the cheap. Currently have 6x6ah and 2x9AH (for the ginders)

'Waitley' seem to be decent- they're the ones with the little voltmeter on them.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/18V-9000mAh-Li-ion-Battery-For-Makita-BL1830-With-LED-Power-Display-9Ah/222810481085?hash=item33e08a21bd:g:B5EAAOSwdc5bYtax&frcectupt=true

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MattyF said:

I would like to feel it on 1/4 pitch, both of us using it thought it would feel better, to be honest we only used it on a laurel hedge and thought it was not a bad chain for pruning.

Yep the chain it comes with is surprisingly good. Reckon it'll take a bit getting used to, seems to struggle a bit or bite in and cut real fast depending how you push it not the same as a petrol saw.