Looking for a decent cordless chainsaw

Matthew Storrs

1 hour ago, Woodworks said:

Do you have a link? Best I saw was around £100 for 2. Still not bad compared with other brands.

I normally have decent sized saw by the processor to cut off any oversized bits. Handy by a chipper though 

Here we go:

Genuine 2x For Makita BL1850 18v 5.0ah LXT Li-ion Battery- TWIN PACK

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/263959073283?chn=ps

11 minutes ago, arboriculturist said:

Here we go:

Genuine 2x For Makita BL1850 18v 5.0ah LXT Li-ion Battery- TWIN PACK

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/263959073283?chn=ps

Thanks but read the add carefully and they are not Makita made batteries. They are probably good when new but some clone ones don't use such good quality cells in the pack. The speed the chainsaw drains them will be tough on the cells. 

31 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

Thanks but read the add carefully and they are not Makita made batteries. They are probably good when new but some clone ones don't use such good quality cells in the pack. The speed the chainsaw drains them will be tough on the cells. 

Apologies - to be honest I just did a quick search and homed in on the word genuine. I will need some so will take care searching for the real thing. Or possibly buy some little used cordless tools off ebay as such low cost its worth the gamble.

5 hours ago, Woodworks said:

It was this video that made me think it was not too bad for speed. Not planning on using it much myself but Liz wants to get back into using a saw and likes the idea of something so easy to start and quiet. Radmore and Tucker have them for £280 ish with batteries and charger as we don't have any Makita battery kit at present. What do you think is better for that sort of money?

I haven’t compared them all so can’t really give a definite answer- but my dad has a Stihl battery (think it’s the 120 model) and my Makita is definitely better (similar priced). However he also has a greenworks 80v battery saw (think Stiga is the same). This one is much better than my Mak. We compared them next to each other and greenworks was more powerful and quicker. As I said I got the Mak as it was a cheap option for me and I have no regrets for the money- if I wanted much better I’d look at the top end Stihl/Husky, but the money they are they’d have to be much better to be worth it.

In that video did he say about 10mins of cutting time?

I was pretty into getting one of those and the tophandle version as it adds up to the same as a 161t with a battery and charger, yet is 2x saws and 3 batteries and 2x chargers.

Not totally convinced after that vid.

Cunningly worded "genuine for makita batteries"

34 minutes ago, billpierce said:

In that video did he say about 10mins of cutting time?

I was pretty into getting one of those and the tophandle version as it adds up to the same as a 161t with a battery and charger, yet is 2x saws and 3 batteries and 2x chargers.

Not totally convinced after that vid.

Yeah- definitely improvements to be made with these battery saws. I have 2 sets of batteries for my Makita and I really only use it on on and off type work- don’t expect it to be anywhere near what a petrol might achieve before refuelling and big cuts will consume the batteries very quickly. I think for reductions and thinnings it would be fine as a climbing saw but never tried top handle version

2 hours ago, Woodworks said:

Having watched this video, I would certainly take the gamble.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Matthew Storrs said:

I haven’t compared them all so can’t really give a definite answer- but my dad has a Stihl battery (think it’s the 120 model) and my Makita is definitely better (similar priced). However he also has a greenworks 80v battery saw (think Stiga is the same). This one is much better than my Mak. We compared them next to each other and greenworks was more powerful and quicker. As I said I got the Mak as it was a cheap option for me and I have no regrets for the money- if I wanted much better I’d look at the top end Stihl/Husky, but the money they are they’d have to be much better to be worth it.

Interesting. The Mak 18V with two 5ah batteries has more power available than the Greenworks 80V with a 2ah battery. I guess the higher voltage affects the speed at which it can deliver the power? We will be starting from scratch as my cordless tools are 18V Dewalt who use a different battery system on their chainsaws.

51 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

Interesting. The Mak 18V with two 5ah batteries has more power available than the Greenworks 80V with a 2ah battery. I guess the higher voltage affects the speed at which it can deliver the power? We will be starting from scratch as my cordless tools are 18V Dewalt who use a different battery system on their chainsaws.

Well you’ve probably got all the tools you need- but the great thing about Makita is the sheer amount of tools available off the same batteries. Since I got my chainsaw- iv added an SDS Drill which has changed my life over normally having to drag a genny to drill out granite gateposts etc. Also want the 3/4” impact driver and the jigsaw, seems like Mak tools are pretty consistent with their quality certainly at the 18v end.

shame Dewalt batteries don’t fit as I think their chainsaw is meant to be quite good.

• Like 1