Looking for a decent cordless chainsaw

Matthew Storrs

Looking at a msa 161t and just seen radmore and tucker have the makita top handle with battery and charger for 180ish.

About 300quid cheaper than the stihl!
https://www.radmoretucker.co.uk/shop/garden-machinery/cordless-garden-tools-and-accessories/cordless-garden-tools/makita-duc254z-18v-cordless-top-handle-chainsaw-25cm-with-5-0ah-battery-and-charger/

• Like 1

Looking at a msa 161t and just seen radmore and tucker have the makita top handle with battery and charger for 180ish.

https://www.radmoretucker.co.uk/shop/garden-machinery/cordless-garden-tools-and-accessories/cordless-garden-tools/makita-duc254z-18v-cordless-top-handle-chainsaw-25cm-with-5-0ah-battery-and-charger/

Thats a mint price for that! Theres nigh on £90 in battery and charger alone! £30+ maybe in bar and chain, that leaves the bare unit at £70 ish or a touch less. Good spot billpeirce!

36 minutes ago, Ratman said:

Thats a mint price for that! Theres nigh on £90 in battery and charger alone! £30+ maybe in bar and chain, that leaves the bare unit at £70 ish or a touch less. Good spot billpeirce!

The stihl would have to be very very much better. Anyone done any climbing with both and can compare?

2 hours ago, billpierce said:

This is a different model - 1 battery and soon runs down. The Makita to buy without doubt is the twin 18v battery (wired in series to give 36v) - DUC 353 

This is a different model - 1 battery and soon runs down. The Makita to buy without doubt is the twin 18v battery (wired in series to give 36v) - DUC 353 
Not a tophandle though is it. Not as desperate for a battery ground saw though sure it would come in handy

On 23/03/2019 at 08:57, Matthew Storrs said:

It is quite slow really (although on paper chain speed is much the same as equivalent Stihl). I think you’d find it frustrating if your were attempting to say ring up a stack of timber, or felling a load of 6-8” dbh thinnings. But for £140 it’s a great tool for smaller stuff- processing brash, landscaping ‘carpentry’, I think it’d make a great chipper saw. Put it this way I have a 357 and a 550 in the shed and they rarely come out any more for the sort of work I do anymore.

model is- https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=makita+duc353&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari#sbfbu=1

particularly good if you have batteries already- if not there may be better options...

It was this video that made me think it was not too bad for speed. Not planning on using it much myself but Liz wants to get back into using a saw and likes the idea of something so easy to start and quiet. Radmore and Tucker have them for £280 ish with batteries and charger as we don't have any Makita battery kit at present. What do you think is better for that sort of money?

1 hour ago, Woodworks said:

It was this video that made me think it was not too bad for speed. Not planning on using it much myself but Liz wants to get back into using a saw and likes the idea of something so easy to start and quiet. Radmore and Tucker have them for £280 ish with batteries and charger as we don't have any Makita battery kit at present. What do you think is better for that sort of money?

Having had Makita 18v cordless drill for 9 years and battery still going strong, we bought another, same model used off ebay for £25. So now have 2 batteries and a charger. I would not hesitate to buy the bare DUC 353 and the bare DUC 254z and use the cordless drill batteries. The genuine batteries are available 5 amp for around £47.95 for 2 ! 

The 353 would be invaluable by the firewood processors.

1 hour ago, arboriculturist said:

The genuine batteries are available 5 amp for around £47.95 for 2 ! 

The 353 would be invaluable by the firewood processors.

Do you have a link? Best I saw was around £100 for 2. Still not bad compared with other brands.

I normally have decent sized saw by the processor to cut off any oversized bits. Handy by a chipper though