Looking for a decent cordless chainsaw

Matthew Storrs

Pretty much all recent battery power tools run off batteries (the proper term for an assemblage of multiple cells) comprised of 18560 lithium ion 3.7v cells. At full charge these cells output about 4.Something volts, dropping quickly to 3.7 for most of the discharge. Brand name and some off-brand stuff use cells made by Sony, Samsung and Panasonic - these are all fine, and reliable. I think the Stihl tools are Sony cells. The problem arises with mystery Chinese cells, which may not be electrinically balanced in the battery at point of manufacture. Also, the more expensive, generally, the battery (battery pack) the more and better microcircuitry in there to regulate the output, so they don't discharge too quickly, leading to thermal problems. Exploding phones are caused by cheap lithium polymer cells, which can be overcharged by a cheap charger, or damaged by impact. I had an e-cig overheat on me, the button got stuck, basically, and there was obviously no thermal cut-out in the circuitry. Got the battery out right quick, very lucky not to have caused a fire...

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

I thought I would bump this as I spent yesterday working with my battery saw – light felling, snedding and prepping wood for the chipper, all done on a single charge. The main reason I am posting though is my friend who has been a tree surgeon for some years now is getting increasingly interested in battery equipment. He is starting to worry that he is doing irreparable damage to his hearing, and his hands are numb/stiff after prolonged use on the top handled saw.

The vibration levels on the pro level battery saws are almost half that of their petrol equivalents, and whilst they are still loud, they are a few decibels lower than petrol and silent when not cutting as opposed to constant idle. Also if he buys into battery tech for his saw he can use it on leaf blowers, strimmers and hedge trimmers to save his ears/habds with those too. Not entirely relevant to most, but I thought it was worth posting.

• Like 1

On 21/03/2019 at 07:48, Emac1pator said:

I thought I would bump this as I spent yesterday working with my battery saw – light felling, snedding and prepping wood for the chipper, all done on a single charge. The main reason I am posting though is my friend who has been a tree surgeon for some years now is getting increasingly interested in battery equipment. He is starting to worry that he is doing irreparable damage to his hearing, and his hands are numb/stiff after prolonged use on the top handled saw.

The vibration levels on the pro level battery saws are almost half that of their petrol equivalents, and whilst they are still loud, they are a few decibels lower than petrol and silent when not cutting as opposed to constant idle. Also if he buys into battery tech for his saw he can use it on leaf blowers, strimmers and hedge trimmers to save his ears/habds with those too. Not entirely relevant to most, but I thought it was worth posting.

All valid points .

Have used battery top handle saw, pretty good battery power and definitely lasts an afternoon of cuts, have a long reach cutter battery,  both husqvarana. Out in the country, so getting fuel can sometimes be a pain, therefore battery does me good from that perspective. 

Have yet to see a big chainsaw on the market battery wise, got an old Husqvarana 365sp petrol, don't know if battery has the same power. 

For the money I’m well chuffed with my Makita at £140 as a bare unit (already had batteries) had it nearly a year now and I’ve had no problems with it- it auto shuts down a bit promptly for my liking and really  suited to up to 8” dia cuts. I use it mainly for fencing/landscaping type work and it does that fine- also did a fair bit of hedgelaying with it- but did all the bulk cutting out prior to laying with the 550 as Makita would have struggled.

3 hours ago, Matthew Storrs said:

For the money I’m well chuffed with my Makita at £140 as a bare unit (already had batteries) had it nearly a year now and I’ve had no problems with it- it auto shuts down a bit promptly for my liking and really  suited to up to 8” dia cuts. I use it mainly for fencing/landscaping type work and it does that fine- also did a fair bit of hedgelaying with it- but did all the bulk cutting out prior to laying with the 550 as Makita would have struggled.

Which model is it Matt? I thought the Makita was slow but saw a video the other day at it looked more than quick enough just not a very long run time. At less than half the price of the big two, it looks good value

9 hours ago, Woodworks said:

Which model is it Matt? I thought the Makita was slow but saw a video the other day at it looked more than quick enough just not a very long run time. At less than half the price of the big two, it looks good value

It is quite slow really (although on paper chain speed is much the same as equivalent Stihl). I think you’d find it frustrating if your were attempting to say ring up a stack of timber, or felling a load of 6-8” dbh thinnings. But for £140 it’s a great tool for smaller stuff- processing brash, landscaping ‘carpentry’, I think it’d make a great chipper saw. Put it this way I have a 357 and a 550 in the shed and they rarely come out any more for the sort of work I do anymore.

model is- https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=makita+duc353&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari#sbfbu=1

particularly good if you have batteries already- if not there may be better options...

Edited by Matthew Storrs
  • Like 1