Looking for a decent cordless chainsaw

Matthew Storrs

9 minutes ago, Vespasian said:

perhaps the first battery types for tools you bought were the old type, now they're better batteries...

lithium batteries replacing sodium or cadmium types.. the point being that a limit has been reached.   now if you watched the video I posted you'll have a better understanding of whats bein got at...

So you think this improvement is going to stop dead? Cant see it myself not due to any insight just when so much time and money is spent on development as there is in battery tech improvements normally follow.

Battery-technology-improvements_grande.png

1 minute ago, Woodworks said:

So you think this improvement is going to stop dead? Cant see it myself not due to any insight just when so much time and money is spent on development as there is in battery tech improvements normally follow.

Battery-technology-improvements_grande.png

A clue might be found in exploding phones.

Yes things have improved, but oh wait, someones leg got blew off, lets think again...   

No ones mentioned the fact it only costs a few pence to charge a big battery. Whereas a tank of fuel is a lot more. And as a woodsman once pointed out: you can charge batteries from solar. Don't have to give money to big petro chemical companies.
[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Trying to compared cordlesds against petrol saws.....

The makita rear handle  DUC353Z is rated at 1.1kw on the spec sheet

http://www.makitauk.com/Productinfo/temp/productinfo_DUC353Z_18_4_2018_9_48_53.pdf

This stiga is 1.6kw:

https://www.stigalawnmowers.co.uk/sc-80ae-80-volt-lithium-ion-cordless-chainsaw-2

So do theese figures mean there about the same power as petrol saws of same ratings? (e.g a stihl ms 170 is 1.2kw)

Also weights:

Makita DUC353Z 4.6kg -5.5kg 

Sthil MSA 200  without battery 2.9kg

- plus with with AP200 1.3kg or AP 300 1.7kg extra

Anyone know the power ratings of the cordless stihl saws I can't find the info?

I've used the Stihl, husky and Makita battery rear handles and the husky is by far the best for torque and battery life. Stihl is good too. The Makita is pretty naff and quite heavy. Heavier than a small petrol saw.

I have Makita tools but the rear handle and top handle chainsaws are no where near as good as the husky ones IMO

22 hours ago, Jamespepperpot said:

I've used the Stihl, husky and Makita battery rear handles and the husky is by far the best for torque and battery life. Stihl is good too. The Makita is pretty naff and quite heavy. Heavier than a small petrol saw.

I have Makita tools but the rear handle and top handle chainsaws are no where near as good as the husky ones IMO

Definitely not but they are a fraction of the price also. As are their batteries and charger. 

• 2 weeks later...