Looking for a decent cordless chainsaw

Matthew Storrs

3 minutes ago, Vespasian said:

He works in the nuclear industry..   nuclear scientist.

Yep. Seen that before . Its accurate for now but just coz it has not happened yet does not mean it wont . . One day man will land on the moon :D

• Haha 1

If you want a saw that last for ages and cuts good enough and is solid and not too expensive, get the makita. It will cut through anything. Can't get chains cheap though.

If you need a pro saw for working up a tree then it's got to be husq or stihl. I'm going to be getting the Husq model.

Benefits of a battery saw in my experience!

1- No petrol - Obviously

2- quick and easy battery replacement

3- Silent (when the triggers not pulled it's not running - easy to communicate with other people like if you're at the top of a tree)

4- Silent - Customers love it

5- No fumes

Only 2 down sides to them that I can possibly think of is battery cost, especially for stihil/ husq models. Bloody expensive and so are the chargers and lastly, easy to not respect the tool. So quiet you can forget how dangerous it is. The Makita is an exception due to it being SLOW chain revolution you really would have to be a total idiot to hurt yourself with it. It'll kick back of course but there's just not enough power there to provide the kind of quick kick back that you wouldn't quickly over ride with a flex of the muscles even when using one handed.

1 hour ago, Vespasian said:

I sub to a scientist called Thunderfoot, he debunks a lot of outlandish claims by other so called scientists.. he did a breakdown of why battery power has reached its limits.. in essence he says you can pack more energy into a battery, but the more in the less stable..  it explains why you have to charge your battery every other day where as a few years back you got a week out the job..  see, the batteries had more power packed in but then again  they did tend to blow a hole in ones leg ever so often.

You got any evidence for this? I did a quick google on improvements in battery energy density and there is no obvious dip and they just get better year on year. Fits with what I have seen in battery power tool world as well. Not so long ago my main drill was just 1.2ah now my current drill has a 4ah pack that is about the same size and latest version has a 5ah battery.

5 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

You got any evidence for this? I did a quick google on improvements in battery energy density and there is no obvious dip and they just get better year on year. Fits with what I have seen in battery power tool world as well. Not so long ago my main drill was just 1.2ah now my current drill has a 4ah pack that is about the same size and latest version has a 5ah battery.

No no no my friend, a quick google search won’t do.  You need to spend hours and hours and hours researching on google and YouTube ?

1 minute ago, Woodworks said:

perhaps the first battery types for tools you bought were the old type, now they're better batteries...

lithium batteries replacing sodium or cadmium types.. the point being that a limit has been reached.   now if you watched the video I posted you'll have a better understanding of whats bein got at...

Just now, Mack said:

No no no my friend, a quick google search won’t do.  You need to spend hours and hours and hours researching on google and YouTube ?

It does help. To be forewarned is to be forearmed..  

Well I’ll keep you updated with my experiences of the Makita. End of the day I wanted a cordless SDS drill so bought that and the Makita as a bare chainsaw (no batteries) cost only £140 odd. I ended up buying 4x 5ah batteries so should give me enough battery power for most small jobs.

much as I like the Stihl and Husky, they are much more expensive, perhaps for good reason, if I like the Makita enough I might look at a S or H to replace my 550xp.

i hate fumes and noise, so hoping I’m entering a new era of saw use!

Edited by Matthew Storrs
  • Like 2