Oak to mill

jamesd

I've got one pretty large oak butt to mill and two other smaller ones and just wanted a bit of advice as what people would say is the best way to mill them. I.e quarter sawn, through and through maybe some dimensional timber like posts an rails? 

I don't have a set use for the wood, so I just want to get the best out of what I have if you know what I mean...l

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

1 hour ago, kinderscout said:

I would go through and through as the timber quality is not of anything exceptional with all the unions and some rot showing in one end.

The larger of the two stems does have a bit of rot but doesn't have many unions. Although there are a few burrs on it

I would mill it though into slabs it looks like it there are some nice table tops and coffee tables in there I would do it chunky 2 and 1/2" plus probably 3".  Always line up you cut angle with the biggest checks (cracks).  Burr edge Oak slabs always sell well get all the sawdust off I do this with a house pipe now it really gets it all off, and flip every other slab your not remaking the log.  I hope that helps Im looking forward to seeing the pics.  Blaise

• Like 1