Time to call it a day ?

danroker1987

It’s been pretty quiet here on enquiries past few weeks, but I’m sure I have similar every year, get down to the last couple of days of booked in work then the phone goes nuts! Snatching victory from the jaws of defeat! But yeah, it is stressful.

• Like 2

Dan mate. I think any of us who have been doing this a while have mulled over exactly what you’ve described in your post.
It’s stressful as hell when the ‘phone doesn’t ring.
How long have you been trading ?
Like Silky says, I also try to get some sub contract work for people I like/respect when I’m up against it (sometimes it’s almost a relief to just go in and climb/ground without the organisational headaches)
Look also to contact mortgage company/any credit providers and ask for a ‘payment holiday’ if things are really tight.
You’d be amazed how many will stall payments temporarily.
Most importantly, if you love this industry, and you’ve still got at least something left in your tank, you’re not out the game yet amigo.
Surf the highs and doggie paddle your way out of the lows if you have to.
It’s all cyclical . Survive this one and the next one you’ll be stronger still.
Good luck [emoji6]

• Like 4

It never gets easier....feast or famine. I was in this boat a few years ago. I soldiered on, largely because I can't do anything else!. There are easier ways to make more money...and there's always the option of selling up and going freelance. I did just that years ago, less hours, no stress...weekends off, time for hobbies. Now I've got my own trainset again....back to 6 days a week and the aggro that goes with it, but I'm happier with the reality of the situation now. Only you can make the call. I hope it turns out well for you mate [emoji1360]

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, danroker1987 said:

I do joe as and when i need the extra help. maybe i should do more so and let go a bit!

Good luck to you mate. Saw your card in Verdes and couldn't help thinking the only business you'll get from that is tarmaccers and council workers!

1 minute ago, john p said:

It’s been pretty quiet here on enquiries past few weeks, but I’m sure I have similar every year, get down to the last couple of days of booked in work then the phone goes nuts! Snatching victory from the jaws of defeat! But yeah, it is stressful.

Feast or famine John, for sure.

I’d be banjaxed without my regular clients.

I’ve noticed in this age of 24 hour delivery if you start telling new customers there’s a six week wait they tend to go elsewhere.

• Like 1

Feast or famine John, for sure.
I’d be banjaxed without my regular clients.
I’ve noticed in this age of 24 hour delivery if you start telling new customers there’s a six week wait they tend to go elsewhere.

It’s very very rare I’ve a six week lead time, I feel like a god when I’ve got three weeks in the diary!
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, john p said:

It’s very very rare I’ve a six week lead time, I feel like a god when I’ve got three weeks in the diary!

Cutting the amount of days you work will fix that mate!

I try to be pretty vague about dates, I try and work with the weather a bit.

Nowt worse than booking in a slippy beech rj three weeks ahead then finding out it’s lashing down and you have no plan B.

I ring Mrs. Miggins the night before and say we can rip her bush out instead.

I totally understand that my business model doesn’t suit bigger firms.

• Like 4